Monday, 2 August 2010

Hiding the Cicada

Where would YOU hide a cicada - hypothetically speaking of course as I don't think any of you are four year old bug obsessed boys with cicada's to hide. But IF you had one and you felt so inclined as to hide it where would you hide it?

In the freezer?

No, me neither, I reserve that for the scissors when I'm seven months pregnant.

Your handbag?

No, me neither, I reserve that for the remote control and other small household appliances when I'm eight months pregnant - and if the truth be known not even pregnant at all.

Or would you hide it here...
in the chime ding dong bowel in front of the alter. It had a lid made from the prayer book Granny K keeps beside this. I found it this morning - when I was cleaning not when I was praying. Shou must have put it here yesterday - he reckoned it was still somewhat alive when he laid it in it's final resting place, quite fittingly at the alter ready for it's cicada soul to be taken to cicada heaven. I hope the ancestors weren't surprised at their latest offering.  Ah well, it's obon (festival of the dead) soon so they can bring the soul back with them if they want.

Today was highly uneventful. I walked the kids to kinder and then did day four of the Shred. It was a LOT better than the first day and bar a few of the lunges I was able to do everything. Keep this up and I might be able to try level two after ten days. Well that's the plan.

Did some extremely exciting housework...
That would be a weekend's worth of washing - including hub's fireman's uniform and about five changes of clothes each by Shou and Marina from yesterday - and a zillion towels. I hate folding washing. That and deciding what to cook for dinner each night must be my two biggest 'I hate being a housewife' things. Although, folding washing in front of Criminal Minds not quite so bad.

In other news, I have become a Daring Baker. Basically this is a group of bakers - or wannabe bakers - or people that just want an excuse to try something tricky for the sake of 'having to do it'. Each month there is a new challenge posted. You have x amount of days to do it and a bit of leeway in ingredients if you live in the whops like me and can't get your hands on things that normal people can. I can't reveal what the challenge is until the deadline has closed and then I can post a picture and tell you about what a fuckin crap baker I am. Something to look forward to I guess. Also means I have to try and organize a mummy get together once a month so I don't scoff the challenge on my own. That or neighbors will be getting handouts.

Granny K is watching Ryu tomorrow and hub and I are off to see SALT - the movies is an hour and a half away so that means leaving as soon as have taken sproglets to kindy at half seven. Need to be back by four for English so it's really only the movie, lunch and a takeout starbucks and perhaps ten minutes spending a thousand yen trying to win a two hundred yen soft toy out of a UFO catcher.  Quite exciting though and stellar effort Granny K for agreeing to look after Ryu. He who sleeps half the day so at least she won't be exhausted.

And that is about as exciting a post as you will get from me tonight. Hub being standard, kids being kids and Granny K still harping on about how much of a better haircut she could have given Marina....

Nighty night.

SDGH&QL

9 comments:

anchan said...

You're in? Wooo hooo!

Corinne said...

Good on you for keeping on shredding, I guess it's gotta get easier as you get used to using the muscles you never knew you had.

That's a shitload of washing! I think I'd just but new clothes...

Sara said...

Enjoy your well deserved futari-no-jikan with the hub!!!! SALT seems like a good movie too, hope you'll post your thoughts!!

How is the Shred going? If you and Fi-chan see some results I will def. be placing an Amazon Japan order as my exercise/healthy eating regime has gone the way of the semi in the altar cup...

Corinne said...

*buy

illahee said...

granny k is cracking me up! tooooo funny. (don't let her near sasha with some scissors! ;)

saturday sounds fab, but let me talk to yoshi and see if he has 'plans'.

world of sekimachihato said...

how sweet of shou to offer a cicada (abeit a live one) to the gods; or should i say the family ancestors. don't forget to bring back the cicada's soul during obon.

and that laundry...
did i ever mention i have a slight fetish for washing.
i love doing the washing and folding clean clothes!!

thefukases said...

And here I was thinking you'd gone all Japanese and seasonally appropriate for your euphemisms for international relations... ;P

And washing? Yupack it up my way. I too really love folding washing. And hanging it. And sorting it....

I have such a quick turn around this time of year I have to make sure the girls don't wear the same shirt days on end- what would sensei think?

Lulu said...

Enjoy your date tomorrow!! (or is it today?)

Movie review wanted!

Sounds as if the shred is going well.

Ruth said...

Hilarious post again today! Not a bad resting place for the poor semi ;) I also have to say that I think Marina's haircut is great and much better than my drunken attempt on your hair. You had practically none left!