Monday, 19 July 2010

The Grassy Knoll

Nearly half one on a public holiday, when everyone is at home, and the house is silent. Amazing. Ryu and Marina and most probably hub are definitely asleep and Shou is pottering upstairs in our room I think. He very rarely has afternoon naps on days he is at home but today he got the hard word - must have an hour of down time upstairs or no yakiniku (BBQ) tonight with guests.

We all went to the beach yesterday. I was quite excited driving there. Tis only five minutes away but I managed to let my hair out and sing a few day at the beach type songs before we got there. We hadn't planed a whole day, just a couple of hours before lunch and more of a hunt for crabs and play on the slide type thing.
Approximately one minute and thirty seven seconds after this photo was taken Shou had complete stripped and run/dived/bombed/fallen head first into the water. It was quite comical and he was loving it but it reinstated that he is a runner - and knows no fear. He got sick of the water and then took off up the beach and over the grassy knoll. The grassy knoll that has a rock bank and a stream at the bottom. Not straight down but still - you can't see the other side and so my mummy alert system tweaked into action, I scream at hub, who has gone to wash sand off the spade and stuff, and am kind of running / jiggling around with Ryu on my hip and trying to coerce Marina into coming with me to find her brother.

He was fine of course. But he is still only four, is completely naked, and has gone sprinting off over a ridge with rocks and water on the other side. I think Hub prefers to take the kids to these kinds of places without me!! I think I prefer hub take the kids to these kinds of places without me too. There was a takoyaki and ice-cream stop before heading home.  A lazy afternoon with the paddling pool out and the new hose that Shou and I went to purchase cause the old one is completely fucked and Granny K just keeps twisting more bits of wire around the hose and using masking tape. There were several obscenities  as i spent ten minutes untwisting ten year old bits of wire. We put the paddling pool at the bottom of the slide and let the fun begins. Had my fat ass fit on the adventure playground slide I may have been tempted to cool off in similar fashion. Hub and I had to be content for a beer on the deck with the baby.

Ryu and his first time in the sand - not quite sure of it at all really. He didn't like the grass at home at first either though.  I tried to get his feet in the water but he kept letting them up in crossed leg yoga position.

We have people coming for  dinner tonight - right at that shit time of night so fingers crossed it isn't complete chaos. The plan is that Marina and Ryu will go to bed just after they arrive - which means I will need to wake both of them up in half an hour or so, and Shou will last as long as he can - which could be a complete disaster seeing as he is now downstairs making a very long dump car out of four milk containers, twelve straws and three sets of disposable chopsticks and half a roll of sellotape.

Perhaps the kids can just all go in the paddling pool later and then I can flag the bath thing and just sort dinner and pjs and teeth - so much more manageable. At least it's only yakiniku so there is minimal preparation, not including the hour each way I spent driving to the supermarket with the nice meat earlier! Hub wanted me to get sazae (those big gross sea snail things), and hotate (um, um, english not coming - shellfish of some sort) and the likes but He has had to settle for beef, lots of beef, pork, chicken wings, sausages, cow horumon (insides - barf) and shrimps. I think that is well fancy enough for guests. There will of course be vegetables to BBQ, beer to drink and shouchu to be poured.

Fuck it - neighbor has just come and rung our doorbell and now Ryu is awake. Ah well, best start sorting out the deck and bringing the washing in.

Has been hot hot hot the past couple of days. Hope everyone is sweating flummy off. I am. But counteracting that by having cold beers in the fridge.

SDGH&QL

8 comments:

kristininjapan said...

Hotate=scallops. I get English farts, too!

Your yakiniku party sounds delish!

I'm on the beach at Enoshima right now, loving the sun and slight breeze... So is the rest of Tokyo! Have a good night!

thefukases said...

Oh yum. Too late to invite myself over? ;P

Fingers crossed for you for tonight- hope for childless guests who think your kids are gorgeous and cute whatever they do. :) And then pack their worn out bods off to kinder tomorrow for the teachers to deal with!

colorbynumbers said...

yay for beach days and no kiddie accidents and for cold beer in the fridge (have one for me will you-am living vicariously for the next oh..9 months or so)..

illahee said...

oh, beach fun!! when can we come over?? :D

Gaijin Wife said...

Kristin - thank you. Scollops. Hope you lot had good times a the beach. I'm all for summer if there was less humidity but a nice breeze definitely helps :)

Heather - just dropped kids off at kinder for teachers to deal with!

CBN - roger that. Will indeed have your portions for next nine months. Let me know how long you plan on giving boob for and I'll continue on through that for you too. Not a problem at all.

Illahee - whenever you like! Lets decided a date on the 25th!

kissncry said...

Hi! I can't remember how I found your blog, but I'm so glad I did! I've been dating a Japanese guy for almost 4 years and reading this gives me a bit of insight as to what my life might be like if he ever gets around to proposing. XD とても面白い!次のエントリーを楽しみしてる~

anchan said...

Perhaps Ryu is like me and hates sand. Apparently I always used to wear my wellies to the beach on family hols.

This came into my in-box this morning, thought it might make you smile:

Yes, parenthood changes everything. But parenthood also changes with each baby. Here, some of the ways having a second and third child differs from having your first:

Your Clothes -

1st baby: You begin wearing maternity clothes as soon as your OB/GYN confirms your pregnancy.

2nd baby: You wear your regular clothes for as long as possible.

3rd baby: Your maternity clothes *are* your regular clothes.

The Baby's Name -

1st baby: You pore over baby-name books and practice pronouncing and writing combinations of all your favorites.

2nd baby: Someone has to name their kid after your great-aunt Mavis, right? It might as well be you.

3rd baby: You open a name book, close your eyes, and see where your finger falls. Bimaldo? Perfect!

Preparing for the Birth -

1st baby: You practice your breathing religiously.

2nd baby: You don't bother practising because you remember that last time, breathing didn't do a thing.

3rd baby: You ask for an epidural in your 8th month.

The Layette -

1st baby: You prewash your new-born's clothes, color-coordinate them, and fold them neatly in the baby's little bureau.

2nd baby: You check to make sure that the clothes are clean and discard only the ones with the darkest stains.

3rd baby: Boys can wear pink, can't they?

Worries -

1st baby: At the first sign of distress - a whimper, a frown - you pick up the baby.

2nd baby: You pick the baby up when her wails threaten to wake your firstborn.

3rd baby: You teach your 3-year-old how to rewind the mechanical swing.

Activities -

1st baby: You take your infant to Baby Gymnastics, Baby Swing, and Baby Story Hour.

2nd baby: You take your infant to Baby Gymnastics.

3rd baby: You take your infant to the supermarket and the dry cleaner.

Going Out -

1st baby: The first time you leave your baby with a sitter, you call home 5 times.

2nd baby: Just before you walk out the door, you remember to leave a number where you can be reached.

3rd baby: You leave instructions for the sitter to call only if she sees blood.

At Home -

1st baby: You spend a good bit of every day just gazing at the baby.

2nd baby: You spend a bit of every day watching to be sure your older child isn't squeezing, poking, or hitting the baby.

3rd baby: You spend a little bit of every day hiding from the children.

Gaijin Wife said...

anchan - PERFECT! Thankyou.

Kissancry - thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment. I hope for your sake your Japanese man does not behave like mine does all the time. I think the most important thing to learn from gaijinwife is NEVER live with your inlaws. EVER.

But perhaps live close enough so you can palm the kids off to them... :)