Monday, 5 July 2010

A Better Day

No fuckwitt  husbands entering this post. Not because he has been being particularly nice and lavishing me with cuddles, kisses, flowers and big fat bits of bling, but because he hasn't been here. Due to arrive home shortly.

I guess he did do a lot this morning, after a short exchange of words...

hub: fuck I'm, sick of getting up at 6.
GW: what are you complaining for, I've been up since 5.
hub: why does everything have to be bloody fair with you all the time (true)
GW: I'm not saying it does just don't expect sympathy from me for having to get up at 6 when I've been up with one, then two and then three of our children before you even get out of bed. We could do one day on one day off?
hub: oooooh OK, and why don't we do I work one day, you work one day too?
GW: piss off.
hub: you're only saying that cause you know you've got it easy.
GW: double fuckin piss off
hub: honestly, at home all day with only one of the kids
GW: right, that's it, physical challenge you prick, you better fuckin run fast cause this fry-pan looks sore.

Just some early morning banter to start the day.

He then washed all the dishes and took the rubbish out. While I was sipping a latte and reading the latest House and Garden Mag. Splutter splutter, wouldn't that be nice.

But seriously, he did do the dishes and take the rubbish out. I think he even managed to say goodbye (to the children) when I left to take them to kindy.

and he has just walked in the door, given me a big hug, thanked me for his waiting dinner and produced a cold vending machine beer from his work jacket pocket.

So for today, minus the above banter, la casa de gaijinwife has been peaceful.

Ryu slept this morning while I sorted out house stuff and the never bloody ending pile of washing. We went and did some shopping, deposited some money so JCB don't ring me up again and went to the produce market for the first watermelon of the year. 800 yen for a big one - no way I'd be pushing that fucker out the saloon doors. I even felt generous enough to give 1/4 of it to Granny K. Through the kindness of my heart and nothing to do with fact that however which way I tried it I couldn't fit the whole thing in the fridge unless I decided to eat two big jars of vegemite and a huge jar of spag sauce in one sitting.

Had some visitors after lunch. An American man and his Japanese wife. They are in Kunimi for a few weeks so he can do some research. Their 7 year old daughter is in one of the primary schools for the next two weeks and I will be interested to see how her Japanese comes along. She can understand everything but chooses not to speak Japanese, even though her mother and father only speak to her in Japanese at home. The dad is an anthropologist and linguistics professor at a University in the states and it was very interesting talking to him about this, that and the other. They might be coming back on Sunday when the kids will be around.

I got a phone call from the university I used to work at - was I available on the 20th for some interpreting at the annual summer review. Considering I haven't done simultaneous interpreting at a thing like that before like um, ever, and also considering that the only thing I would be comfortable in talking about at the moment would be twat husbands and perhaps the kindergarten system and lack of discipline for girls that chomp and boys that punch umm , well I had to graciously decline. I felt bad, but I think I would probably stress for the next two weeks thinking about it, worry that the mic wouldn't fit nicely over my hair, and probably vomit twice a day with the anxiety - which perhaps not totally bad thing as would counteract any bad eating. Translating fine. Interpreting between two people or a person and a small group of people about non business related stuff - fine. Interpreting with a head set in a room of university presidents, deans and professors, half of whom have better Japanese than me and would therefore know when I just missed shit out or fucked up - not cool.

Does anybody do this kind of simultaneous interpreting. I think it's fantastic. I would love to be able to do it but there is a huge difference between being fluent in a language and being able to interpret at that level. Of course the experience would help but never mind.

And that's that. The kids were good for dinner, bath and bed. No major tantrums or mummy meltdowns.

Busy day tomorrow - vets for the cat's summer diseases jab, social welfare centre for Shou's Japanese encephalitis jab and then English.

Hope whatever it was in the water that was turning husbands crazy over the last couple of days has eased off. Enough of that shit already.

SDGH&QL

10 comments:

Fifi Kida said...

hell yea me too! I second that last comment!!! Please, God, Buddah , Allah, whomever, if you are listening, make our husbands behave!! :D

Glad your day was better, feeling the "frying pan looks sore" vibes ...

Sara said...

I know that Brenda (elemenopee blog) has gone to interpreter school and has done all sort of amazing stuff with it.. but she is the only one i know. I'd love to be all spiffy and cool and sit behind Lady Gaga or Tom Cruise on Music Station or Bistro SMAP but sadly that will never happen :)

Glad to hear hubs had a beer for you to make up for some of the harsh words this morning... what is in the water lately?!

Interesting how the little girl won't speak Japanese at home with her parents... your post about kids and language was interesting too... I guess in most cases it ends up working out though. Since we are looking at moving back to America tho - we'll probably have to ship Sakura off to the inaka for summers... that should be hilarious ha ha ha.

Kitta said...

Just to play devil's advocate, from your Hub's point of view it probably does seem like you've got it easier. He works what... 5 days a week plus overtime and other obligations? Shou and Marina are in kindy 6 days a week so you've only got Ryu to look after during the day. And you can do things like take a nap if you're feeling tired, which Hub probably can't do at work. So to him it probably seems like you've got a pretty good deal. I think I'd rather be at home all day than working full time if I had a choice! I guess the only way to show him what it's like is to let him take over some of the parenting duties for a few days (or weeks)...

Gaijin Wife said...

Kitta - you're right. Totally. i do have to remind myself that for 97 percent of the time he is actually at work, at union shit, at fire brigade shit, weed-eating the mountains or whatever - and not at pachinko :) I absolutely love the time I have with Ryu all day. I do think I, and he as a third child, are lucky that we get so much time together.

I say a hail Mary to the kinder teachers and a system that lets me have two children in full time six days a week for only 45,000 yen a month.

I do need to remind myself more that hub is working hard and I do need to lengthen the rope. Poor bastard just about has it strangling him sometimes and that must be crap. All in all I actually agree I have it easier - but psychologically sometimes only spending time with a one year old and a 73 year old Japanese women is pressing to say the least - hence the blog.

I think it's just times when I think about family and friends and NZ when things get on top of me. That is a no win battle though as I can't force him to understand something he will never be able to.

But thank you for reminding me. I need to be from time to time.

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say to Kitta (^) that I have done both (work full time with much overtime and later a SAHM with only one kid) and it was BY FAR easier to work full time. And I wasn't a quarter as good as GW seems to be at keeping up the housework, etc. I'm sure it depends on the person, but no contest for me.

T in Tokyo

Gaijin Wife said...

T - thanks :) I have done both too but not since having children so I don't know what it is like to work full time and then come home to small children (and a nagging wife) which I guess is what hub has. He definitely needs to pull his head in about shit but half the time I think I am hitting my head against a cultural brick wall. He does more than a lot of the men he knows. I tell him well his kids are cuter and his wife has got bigger tits so whats he complaining about??

Sarah said...

My dream job as a six-year old was to become a translator for the UN - I gave that up pretty quick when I realized just how damn hard it would be!!

I've never had any type of training, but have done some simultaneous translation at the museum where I work. The first time I did it was horrible, but the second day got better, and then the next time it was a little easier again. What made it possible was that it was my "area" so I basically knew the terminology in both languages. I also found it much easier when I only had to go from one language to the other, and not back and forth. But it is exhausting and I have the UTMOST respect for people who do that for a living!

Gaijin Wife said...

something is seriously wrong with my comments. comments disappearing and appearing twice. Sorry.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who tells their man off for being a twat! My man was going on and on about his headache after I had given him appropriate amount of sympathy so I told him "Sweetie, would you rather have my period, because I sure don't want it and you don't hear me complaining!" Enjoyshite Katie

medea said...

I have a cry over my parents at odd times too, and they're not in your mum's health situation. My husband doesn't get it because he can see his twat of a mother anytime he damn well pleases.

I would have turned down the interpreting job too. I have had a lot of things like that lately and it is the most stressful part of my job. If it was an extra rather than something my manager makes me do I sure as heck wouldn't. If you do one bring along a tonne of industrial strength deodorant. Last week I was doing a meeting with some Germans (that sounds perverted) and it was so damn stressful between the two accents that I soaked a shirt right through!