Tuesday, 8 June 2010

Granny K Rant and Vampires

So I was going to post this yesterday but didn't want to steal Ryu's thunder on his birthday.

Sunday night was pretty heinous sleep wise. Ryu and Marina both woke up twice each and I got a grand total of about 50 minutes sleep seeing as I didn't go to bed myself until just before midnight. Needless to say yesterday morning there was a bit of mad-dog mummy going on, not helped by Shou ignoring 110 percent of what he was being asked to do. Not exactly rocket science. Brushing your teeth, putting on your socks. I was losing it big time.

Granny K comes in and tells me to control myself and that it is no bloody wonder Shou is like he is if I am angry at him all the time. For 1. I am not angry ALL the time. Having her around doesn't bloody well help though. Neither does three small children under the age of four and husband who is late most nights. I tell her that I know all this but that her giving this 'advice' when I am obviously in a shit mood is not helping the situation. She ignored me and continued to say her piece for another five minutes.

I was so good I was. I did a bit of stomping but I didn't stay anything to her in a language she would understand. Fuckin stupid bitch as I stomped upstairs with Ryu was probably understood though more through tone and flying spit than English recognition.

I had a big blub upstairs holding on to my birthday boy, fantasizing about running away with my three perfect children and starting life in a beautiful little stone villa in tuscany or somewhere. That or burning the bitch at the stake. I looked like a cabbage patch kid after all the crying so I asked hub to take Shou and Marina to kindy and he did, bless the man. Pity he didn't stick up for me when Granny K was having a go at me but christ, can't have it all I guess.

I stayed upstairs and napped with Ryu and thought seriously about packing an overnight bag for the two of us and running away to the city for some yakitori and a hotel for the night. But it was his first birthday man. I couldn't do that. Imagine that - Ryu asking when he was about 20, why are there no pics of my first birthday mum? Sorry darling but Granny was being a bitch so we ran away for the night.

We went out to meet friend for lunch and get stuff for cake. I was going to make it properly but ended up getting the box type, mixing and baking and turning it into this...
I didn't make enough icing to do the sides but nevermind. Ryu ate a WHOLE piece and some leftovers tonight! I also got some footage of him with his hands in it - and thats what a first birthday cake is all about really!

Hey, and you'll be so proud of me. Granny K was invited in for the proceedings. Given I wanted to light her instead of the candles I refrained. And yes, that was candle S - for Shou and Marina's benefit, Ryu actually turned eight yesterday.

Granny K came in at about 4pm and asked where Ryu was (minus any hello or greeting in the form of a grunt or anything) and then, upon my telling her that he was asleep, promptly left his prezzie on the kitchen table without a single word and buggered off. Ryu woke up thirty seconds later so I took him, and the prezzie, into her room and said, through Ryu, that Granny wanted to give him his birthday prezzie.  It was one of those dogs that walk and every so often stop, sit and do a back flip. Ryu was in absolute hysterics. It was very funny...
Funnier when him and Marina were doing it but...

And, another pic, just because...
This was taken yesterday morning and Marina's outfit was the start of Shou's nutout. I bought this and three other outfits (two each) at toys R us about a year ago. They were well cheap (2000 yen down to 500 for one set). I got Marina's down but one of Shou's is more of an Autumn PJ one so I left it. Holy bloody shit. You'd think the sky was falling down. What is it about kids and things having to be fair for EVERYTHING??

Obviously the 'why doesn't mum take a pic' angle worked and Shou was nice brother for all of thirty seconds.

You can't really see Marina's sore eye - it is her right eye. It was worse let night than when it happened on Sunday. She has been in the wars lately and today was no exception. I went to pick her up from kindy this evening and...

teacher: I'm really sorry Aramaki-san....
GW: Why? Did Sakura take a chomp out of her again (half joking)...
teacher: (looking guilty) Yes, I'm so sorry. They were playing so nicely together and it just happened so fast we didn't have time to pull Sakura off her. (showing me Marina's shoulder blade - which looks like it has two snake puncture wounds. Bloody - not nice)
GW: Holy shit. That is like the third serious bite in a month. She still has the remnants of the last two...
teacher: I'm really sorry. I did tell her mother today though...
GW: ...
teacher: she said it would be good if Marina just chomped Sakura back...
GW: (like that is so not the problem - but fuck, I'll chomp Sakura back) ha ha.. good. This is getting a bit out of hand.
teacher: It's not just Marina (like I should be happy knowing that??), it's just that Marina and Sakura are good friends and they gravitate towards each other - and well, Sakura doesn't reserve her bites just for when she is pissed off. She can be quite contented and then just lash out.

Anyhoo, am going to have proper talk with Marina and Sakura's main teacher tomorrow morning. This is ridiculous. A lot of kids go through a biting stage but this is just beyond a joke. I am going to specifically ask/tell the teacher tomorrow that Marina not play with Sakura. I'm sad it's come to this but there is seriously no other way - bar Sakura's parents sorting out whatever is going on with older brother at home that is causing this, and having more of a serious attitude would help. Honestly... If you got told that your child had bitten another child for the XXX time this month - and you got told that child's name and you lived in a tiny town where everyone knows everyone, would you or would you not ring up the victims mother to apologize on behalf of your cannibalistic child??

Hub said she probably wont ring cause she's probably only about 26 and doesn't know better??? What the fuck. Like age should let you off the hook. This isn't a one off thing. Marina currently has FOUR sets of Sakura's teethmarks on her beautiful little body.

I can see how monster parents start. I so don't blame Sakura (well, not entirely) - I blame her parents, and the teachers at the kindy cause if Sakura is there six days a week from 8-5, and biting kids for half that time then they should be telling her off accordingly. Should they not?

Anyway, enough ranting. Am off to make a railway crossing out of wood, nails and duct tape - thanks Shou for ordering up a bullet train and a railway crossing for your birthday cake this year!! Am so not making a railway crossing out of cake so this will have to suffice!

SDGH&QL

13 comments:

thefukases said...

the tuscan villa preparation is going well here. I've cracked pizza dough, just need to work on my wine skills....

The extra bit of cake for the tail of the balloon- it's bugging me. How did you do it? I know, I know, all the other big questions in life but really, these are the things that keep me awake...

And definitely get stuck into the kinder about the biting thing. We have been bitee here and it was a huge hullabaloo with the hoikuen organising apologies etc etc. Yours is getting a bit laid back maybe?

Brenda said...

The pic of Marina and Ryu is absolutely priceless! They're not even my kids and I want to blow it up and frame it. It seriously makes me tear up it's so beautiful! I could write an essay about why I love it so much, but I'll stop here. (Hormonal much?)

Green-Eyed Geisha said...

I'm thinking that if the mother is old enough to have a kid, she is old enough to apologize for the little flesh-eating monster!! Great post, the bit about lighting Granny on fire instead of the candles was priceless!

Midori said...

That cake is amazing.

I agree about getting stuck into the hoikuen about the biting. Joey has a scar on his face from when another child bit him in Kags. The same little boy bit him on several occasions and nothing was done. I am not even sure that they told his Mum. Anyway, the final straw was shortly before we left and the boy must have really gone for him because he still has the scar on his cheek to this day. (Thereby ruining my plans for him to grow up to be a male model!! ;-))

I would also be inclined the call the Mum and tell her that you aren`t happy. I had Joey when I was 27 and seriously, age SO isn`t an excuse for not having the brains/ decency to apologise and I would have been horrified if Joey was the biter. In fact, Joey had a one-off biting incident about 6 months ago and I was appalled and very apologetic to the Mum who didn`t seem worried as the kids are friends and play happily together but I was still very angry with Joey.

Gaijin Wife said...

Heather - good luck on the wine skills, at this rate we might end up in tuscany sooner rather than later. Hopefully there's a good band of sexy workmen still there.

The cake was rounder on the sides. I sliced enough off to make the 'tail'.

Brenda - hormonal yes :) tis a great pic though.

GEG - Thankyou :) It is amazing that Granny K and I have managed to live under the same roof for four years and not ended up in hospital - I am thinking more her than me of course (but I guess you never know - shit I better watch my back).

Midori - hub said last night that Marina better not get a bite on her face. Am having strong words to teachers today. Am also going to start taking photos of the warwounds - not even a war though as that suggests two sides fighting when Marina is never involved it seems.

Oyomesan said...

Granny K and the Unwanted Advice....I hear ye! Lots of sympathy...it is some kind of Japanese thing this handing out of advice to youth...blame Confuscious or someone...I get that from mother and son...How to Hang Laundry, How to Open a Can, How to Set the Box in the Cupboard, How to Close the Ziplock Bag, How to.....oh bugger off!

colorbynumbers said...

yum cake! (don`t spose it was mint icing? that would`ve made my day)...My hubby also goes on about youngish women with kids who just don`t get it..I think what he`s getting at is that they don`t care enough or priorities are different. Either way, I would so be taking pics and stalking the mum down..but then again she might not even react then either :(

Rachel said...

I would get stuck into the kindy teachers. Sakura might be a little angel at home, you don't know. Parents get all the blame for how kids turn out, but the schools where they spend their days are just as much responsible. If the biting is happening there, under their supervision, then it's their problem and they have to deal with it. What can the mother do if she's not physically there? She SHOULD however, be calling to apologize.

Sara said...

lots going on in your post today! boo on granny k and boo on the kindy for allowing all the "violence"

also... I'm 26 and would most certainly apologize to another mother if I found out my Sakura was biting or hurting another kid.

unforunately i also think that since she spends so much time in the kindy and thats where all the other little kids are the ones who should deal with the issue are the kindy teachers... however i suppose at this point all you can do is ask to keep them apart and hope they do it.

loved ryu's cake! its lovely and the pictures of all three children are gorgeous. what a photogenic bunch.

hope today is a better one xx

Anonymous said...

GW
Any good Kindy teacher would have been mortified that that had happened on their watch. I speak from personal experience and the children should hear it from the teachers and parents that biting is unacceptable.
However as it happened at Kindy then they have the duty of care. Parents should however be apologising/ bringing you chocolate etc. Kindy should be re-evaluating the quality of their staff and discipline policy.
On the other hand I have experienced some Japanese mothers to seem completely unfazed when told their kid bit anothet child. It all goes back to this Japanese "kids will be kids" attitude. Which in this case is complete crap!
Brit

Nay said...

Love the cake!!

I would definitely be making a big deal about the little vampire! Poor Marina. I mean, I can understand it happening once or twice. But it seems like that little girl has a serious problem and it's not fair that Marina is the one left with all the bite marks.

Oh and I am only 24 years old but there is NO WAY I will be allowing Leilah to behave like that. Age means nothing!!

Bryn said...

Damn that Granny K! Hasn't she learned anything yet!!!

Looks like I'm the only crap mother whose kid was a biter!!! The mom should def. be calling to apologize, but the blame should be placed squarely on the teachers.

Poor little Sakura could have been Gabi! She was a horrendous biter, very nearly got booted out of kindy because of it! I tried EVERYTHING, including biting her back and putting hot sauce in her mouth everytime she bit, but nothing worked. I was MORTIFIED and felt so helpless. Privacy laws being what they are in the U.S. I was never told who she bit, so I ended up making a flyer and hanging it on the Announcement board in the kindy room, apologizing to everyone for my vampire (and I was only 23!). It was just a phase, that she eventually outgrew, but there's no doubt in my mind that she left a lot of scarred kiddies as a result :(

Gaijin Wife said...

Thankyou all for the comments. Marina and Shou both went through a biting phase but I never heard of it being directed at one particular child and it lasted for about a month. Sakura seems to target Marina - and again today. Sigh.

What provoked it? Marina stuck her tongue out!! For the love of god.