Monday, 31 May 2010

Cancer's a Bitch

I feel I can get away with saying things like that what with the current situation. I have just linked on Lily's blog for a catchup. She has a very eloquent way of writing, one that I could never achieve as I don't  think I could make it more than a couple of paragraphs without an obscenity or blasphemous blasphemy of some sort. Through her most recent post I learnt that Kathy Sugio, another gaijin wife in Japan, passed away on May 29th, after a six year battle with breast cancer.


I have never met Kathy. I only know of her through the Married in Japan online group. I have just visited her website and read her most recent posts, which are from February and April. An MRI she had in December came up clear for brain tumors but by February her head was riddled with them.


Before all this stuff with mum I guess I was compassionate when hearing stuff like this but there was always that - oh well, such is life, it's someone else attitude in there too. Now? Now I hear about things and it just breaks my heart. I can't say what I want to very well so hell, I'm just going to quote you Lily, I hope you don't mind...


"Not only did she share her life, she shared her death. I imagine in response so many women in this surprisingly interconnected foreign wife community in Japan were seeing their families, their homes, their days and environment a bit more vividly. We gleaned all the wonderful characteristics that we heard about her and hoped that we could only shimmer a fraction the way this stellar woman did- at least I did....
To confront the idea of a young person dying, someone with 4 young children is any parents nightmare...how fragile mine and those I love life became...the difference now is that her dignity and wisdom she showed through-out her life and illness has made death a tad less frightening. Life and death has been stripped down to its essence for a short time..." 


To read Lily's whole post click here.


If you want to read about Kathy and her life since 2004 visit her blog 'Mikan Days'.


Throughout her very expensive cancer treatment people have been sending her donations. It's a hard ask to ask for compassion that extends to your own wallet when talking about someone you have never met. But fuck it, pay pal is just so damn easy and I for one just feel that this was something I could and I should do. I didn't send a donation throughout her treatment. So even though it may seem like too little too late perhaps it might at least relieve a fraction of the burden of raising four children without their mother. 


Besides, the last donation I made was to try and get a litter of pups out of Iraq and really in the grand scheme of things I think the Kathy Sugio Donation might be a bit more appropriate and closer to home to me at this time. Not that the pups aren't important. 


Right, now I think I need some time to reflect. Cancer's a bitch, why on earth do I waste all my energy complaining about random shit...


But don't worry, I'll keep complaining and ranting cause that's just who I am.


God damn it this post was meant to be about the resurrection of Gaijinwife Gets Skinny. Time to take that flummy and pull it up and spit it out. If only. Never really took to the whole bulimia thing. Looks like I'll have to go the conventional route. No use of that word starting with 'D' though. Tis a psychological thing. No, no. This time I am doing a 'Four Month Challenge'. It's healthy eating, it's lots of water, it's exercise when I can and it's going to make people stop wondering if I'm harvesting a fourth child in there. 


Join me? 


If you would like to embark on four months of healthiness and you want to have to answer to the blog then let me know and I will sign you up so you can blog on Gaijinwife gets skinny too - but obviously might have to change name if anybody else wants to join!! No skinny bitches though. That's not fair. You must have a flummy PLUS at least 10kg to shed - preferably more to make me feel better. Also need to post before and after pics. Diet blog no bloody fun if you can't see photos at the end.


I'll put a link to the blog when I've made it a bit more style and added a few diet thingies. 


Right, best hang out the washing and then it's off for Ryu's check up at the local centre. 


SDGH&QL 



4 comments:

tj-injapan said...

I never knew Kathy IRL either, but do know several of her friends, friends who have been there with her throughout the whole ordeal, and supported her and her family through her last days. She really seemed to be an amazing, strong and funny woman and mother. I have been thinking about her and her kids (in particular) everyday since hearing of her decline in health a few weeks ago. Feel so helpless, that all I can do is think and pray for her family, and click a button on the computer....

You're right - cancer is a bitch.

Rachel said...

I've been thinking about her too all day yesterday and today. Then I just read about a new breast cancer vaccine they're developed TOO LATE!!!

Yes, I'm on for a four-month challenge. Actually I started a month ago, am down 2kg, still have at least 10 to go though, ideally...

Oyomesan said...

I was 64 kg in January...and down to 58.9 kg last week....the banana diet thing Is really good idea because it is easy to survive until lunchtime on only a banana at breakfast....

GOOD LUCK TO YOU!!!!

Gaijin Wife said...

Oyomesan - I think I tried to banana diet when all the hype first started. You can have as many bananas as you like but that is all you can have until lunch time right? Thanks for the well wishes I will need all the support I can get. I am SHIT at diets.