Friday, 23 April 2010

The Girls.

As you know I brought lots of omiyage with me - all for kids and none for adults mind you. My nieces all got the pretty Japanese envelope with some cash inside. Highly excited my youngest niece wanted to go to the horse shop over in Hastings. The saddlery warehouse I do believe. I haven't driven much in Hastings since my high school days and frequenting the boys school there or the diving pool where my sister and I practiced (springboard) diving.

Niece, Ryu and I ventured off and at one stage she commented how her dad could take one look at a map and be sorted. I educated her on the difference in map reading skills between those hairy men and us lovely fair women. I of course, I mean why would you not, was driving along with the map 'up the right way'. We found our destination though. As a women I immediately noted all the physical landmarks it was near - as opposed to being south down Omahu road and turning East at Harding road. A whole lot of tractor shops and a CJ Pasks Winery - which I am sure I will never forget.

Niece was in horsey heaven and I was surprised she didn't start bloody neighing and cantering around the shop. She managed to get some jodpers, a whip (might like me one of those), gloves and a grooming set all for just over fifty bucks. I paid the few dollars extra on the promise that she kept it to herself - especially from her sisters.

We got back here where she proceeded to spell out to Granny A exactly how much each item was. Ahhhh, nevermind. My sister and her two arrived after their long drive down from Auckland. I haven't seen my two other nieces (yes, I have the only boys), for a year and a half which is heaps when you are that little. They have grown up so much - three and two.

Went down to pick up fish 'n chips which I admit would have been nicer if it wasn't just me that really wanted them!! Still yummy though. Unfortunately I forgot to take a photo to taunt you with so I will try and be better on that front and then later will post screeds and screeds of food photos and random family shots like niece pretending to be 'pebbles' or 'marmite' and jumping over a few jumps or trotting around the front lawn 'arena'.

Dad vacated the premises but will be back on Sunday which was when I though sister and her two were leaving but turns out they will be here till Tuesday. Sunday night will be interesting but then I am leaving first thing Monday morning so will hopefully get away unscathed - and by no stretch of the imagination do I mean that in a physical sense. All verbal bollocks.

Last night my sisters and mum and I went through huge pile of old pics - and I will have to try and sort out mum's scanner cause there are some awesome ones of mum and dad when they were young and hairy (dad) and playing in the band - with a band van and taking my oldest sister to concerts and the like - and beautiful (mum) in an array of exceedingly short tunics, long legs and leather headbands. We have another pile to attack tonight or tomorrow. Just the girls though and it was quite a laugh. Old photos are just great aren't they? So many memories.

Mum and I are off this morning to do a clothes shop as she is really pushing to buy me at least one nice new piece of clothing. I obviously am not too chipper about having to go out and try things in my present state which resembles fat pregnant sea lion. No, I'm not pregnant but were it not for my insistence to everyone I see that three children is definitely enough I think a few people may have had the balls to congratulate me on my 'obvious' 4th child good news. Gasp. Between that and the lady at the omiyage shop asking if I was in Japan teaching rugby and I am going to start that air diet - just the minute I get home.

I am meeting up with a friend this evening for some drinkies. We went on high school exchange together, we both went to the same university, we both went on JET as CIRs, and we both ended up in Beppu working at the university. She just happens to live about ten minutes away. Lots of times to catch up on and gossiping about her scandalous adventures around the world, Spanish doctors and South African coffee bean pickers, hammocks on boats floating down the Nile, large doobies, strange local beverages, being an extra in a bollywood film, getting taken off taking part in a small town wedding that involved perhaps a couple of bulls, a goat and some chickens!! Can't wait. May be cut short by tonight perhaps being the only night us girls and mum can go out for dinner. There is that small problem of um, a babysitter. My sister will try and convince her hub and he can come round after the kids are in bed.

Oooooh, and guess what. I (capitalised more if possible) put Ryu to bed last night and he is STILL ASLEEP - 7:16am. That's officially 12 hours. I am only up this early because my niece came into my room thinking she would find mummy. May as well get up though so have just had cuppa and vegemite on toast.

Looks like today will be yet again another beautiful Hawkes Bay day.

SDGH&QL

8 comments:

illahee said...

ryu is doing so awesome!! makes me wonder if he sleeps with one eye open in japan.... ;) or maybe he knows he has you all to himself now!

Anonymous said...

Hey, I've got a scanner if your Mum's one doesn't work. Just bring the pics with you. Can't wait to see you! Ang xx

thefukases said...

the fish and chips mention I was ok with but the vegemite on toast for brekky? Do you have to tease us? Tell me it was multigrain and I'll cry....

Sounds like you're packing heaps of fun stuff into your trip and Ryu's co-operating to boot!

Gaijin Wife said...

Heather - get your hanky out. Multigrain all the way man. Loving it!

world of sekimachihato said...

oooh, you don't know how much i miss nz blue sky!
sounds like you are flat out fully booked with your days (and nights) but i wonder if you will have time to check out those great wineries in the bay. i'm so in the mood for a sav in the sun (i'm sitting in a chilly aircon office at the moment so go figure...)

Lulu said...

You mean fush and chups right? :P

Sorry couldn`t resist. My mum is a kiwi but she lost her accent years ago.

Sounds as if Ryu is loving life in NZ. Hopefully his wonderful sleep habits continue once you return to the land of the rising son....

The comment about your niece in the horse shop cracked me up. I can just imagine this little girl "neighing" haha...

Alice Van-Weed said...

this are cute babies..worth posting..

soulsearcher said...

living in a foreign place can a bit different..but anyone can pretty much adapt to it..my cousin who used to live with us now lives in arkansas and is pretty much loving it there