Monday, 22 March 2010

Another public holiday?

What was the public holiday today? For a country that has so much trouble taking time off they sure do have enough things to make public holidays for. Birthdays, changing of seasons, sports, environment, respect for this, that and the other...

In a house with three small chidren, two of whom are usually at full time daycare, public holidays are viewed with a mixture of...

enhusiasm - yay, get to spend whole day playing with kids and ignoring housework.

fear - for my person, for their person, for the floor, the walls, my kitchen utensils...

anxiety...knowing that I will spaz at some point during the day - if not on several occasions. Anxiety for really wishing that wouldn't happen but knowing it probably will and wondering when??

wonder... at how my kids, who were born with two perfectly functioning ears each, have yet to put them to good use.

rah rah.

We have manged to make it through the three day weekend all still here and even perhaps all still talking to each other. No small feat. Fortunately two and three year olds don't hold grudges for very long. I have a feeling in about ten years grudges might last a bit longer.

Hub took Shou and Marina to the park not once but twice today - first to the park 5km away with the rocket roller slide and obstacle course and then to the usual park with the ship roller slide. In between he took Shou out by himself past the men up the road laying concrete - they both got to ride in the concrete truck back to the concrete place to refil and back again. Talk about fun fun fun.

We had visitors this morning. Friend is 39 weeks pregnant about to enter week 40. Her hub is busy at work five towns over all this week so have said she can ring gaijinwife taxi should it feel like the baby is making it's way towards the saloon doors - unless tomorrow's surgery in New Zealand doesn't go too well in which case I may be stocking the wine rack and beer fridge in which case in no state to drive and she would be better off getting a normal taxi.

Well, best get to bed. Tomorrow is a big day. Need to get up and do the house and kid stuff before heading out - for no real reason other than I don't have any translations to keep me occupied while I wait for txt/phone call from home. I'll sit here and eat all day if I don't get out :(

cold leftovers, old tomatos, the chair, the dining room table... I wish I lost my appetite in times of stress :(

I'd be well skinny by now.

SDGH&QL

9 comments:

sleepyinsaka said...

Im unfortunately one who eats the pain away too. I wish I was the other way around, but I am just .... not :(

However best of luck for tomorrow, I know I will be anxiously awaiting your next post, very very hopefully full of good news. Plus Im sure no one would begrudge you for sitting at hope eating and drinking and drinking all day tomorrow. Good luck.

Sara said...

Sending lots and lots of vibes to NZ for tomorrow.
Sounds like a bit of a hectic day for you with the holiday.. not so much of a yasumi with 3 little ones I guess.

Hang in there GW. Hoping to hear good news from you tomorrow.

thefukases said...

ha ha ha the 3 day weekend. FOr spring equinox. On which it freaking snowed here! And yup, this mummy is no fan of the long weekend either. And 6 year olds notice grimacing and scowling "what's wrong mummy? " I told her I missed my usual working Monday.... ;P

Good luck for tomorrow!

illahee said...

three day weekend? what's that?? ;)

good luck for your mom today, sending healthy, happy vibes her way. and (hopefully) calming vibes your way. *hugs*

Nay said...

Ditto on Illahee's comment - 3 day weekend?!? Never heard of it :( I think Naoki has only about 2 long weekends in the whole year.

Good luck for tomorrow. I am thinking of you all XXXX

Melanie said...

Yeah, it was just a 2 day weekend here as well, albeit on Sun/Mon as T had to work on Sat. Not sure I like national holidays here too much as it just means T has to work another day of the week to make up for the fact that it was a holiday.

Kind of defeats the purpose of holidays I think.

Bryn said...

Thinking of you today and hoping the surgery goes/went well. I can't imagine how difficult it is for you waiting for news! Chin up sweet friend, you'll be there soon!

Rachel said...

Been thinking of you today.

I'm free all week if you'd like a visitor. Wed and Fri morning or Thursday afternoon.

L. said...

Been thinking of you all day....hope all went ok.......