Wednesday, 13 January 2010

Studless

In New Zealand we use the word 'stud' to mean a bloke who is a bit of 'sex on toast', quite a dish, well fit, want me some of that man. So I guess studless could mean that I, or Kunimi, is without stud/s. Would be fairly true statement. Not many sexy men roaming the streets of this fair town.

Today though, as I look out the window at a white winter wonderland studless refers to the tyres on my car. Snow tyres. I naively thought studless tyres was a universal term but turns out, after texting my mum and her replying that she had no idea what they were, is perhaps some crap Japlish? We have had them on both the cars since December and today is the ONE day we will be glad he have them. Don't get many big dumps of snow down here but today really is quite picturesque.
Shou and Marina treking to kindy - Marina refusing to wear a hat. Perhaps she thought it would give her even more of a mullet.
Gaijinwife house in the snow. Love it love it - although driving the kids to kindy was a bit scary as I really have only ever drivin in this much snow a handful of times and once was coming back from university worked at - on top of big hill in Beppu - we got sent home early and was going very slow downhill with my break peddle flat to the floor - as you do when you have no snow driving experience - and proceeded to skid into the guard rail on the side of road.

Luckily a grad student (bit of a stud actually) from Canada was in the car behind us and he got out and offered to drive my car home. He of course was born outside in the snow and no doubt came out the saloon doors in a sled. Still took us two hours to get home but.

However, no amount of snow was going to keep me from getting those kids to kindy. It is still snowing now but not piling up anymore. I think I can almost see the road. English this arvo might get cancelled though depending on whether the mothers want to drive in it - the road out here is worse than the main road AND we have no guard rails to stop you sliding into the river or a paddy. Tis very pretty though!

In kiddy news... What do you think this is...

Is a missile off the transfomer thing hub bought Shou home from his wannabe fireman's drinking trip to Kumamoto. I have been shot with this thing about three hundred times since Monday - all over really but mainly in the boobs. Shou was quite polite about it the first time:

"mama, booby ni missairu hassha shite ii?" (mummy, can I launch a missile at your boobs?)

"um, no darling."

"mama no booby daisuki" (I love your boobs, mummy)

???

Not really sure how to move forward with this? Guess he is just a chip off the old block. Hub thinks it's a great laugh. Thankfully Marina hasn't taken to following Shou's lead.

Well, time to ring Granny K to see if she needs a lift back from pottery. There was an announcement before saying the bus wasn't running today and knowing her she will ring for a ride just after I have put Ryu to bed.

I am also waiting for a delivery - a cycle so I can cycle my flummy away while watching CSI, Criminal Mind and The Unit.

I heard that laughing - I know, I know. Will just end up under the stairs with the stepper, core rhythms DVD and Billy's Boot Camp. But is only one I can do while doing something I enjoy so maybe it will last a bit longer. At least long enough to cycle off the 5cm of flummy I plan on putting on while in Fukuoka at the end of the month!

Would also like to get outside and make a snowman so the kids get excited when they get home. OK, so that was lies. I want to make it. The only thing else on my afternoon list is English and to make cream stew for dinner so perhaps I will get out there for half an hour or so and give it ago...

Watch this space.

SDGH&QL

13 comments:

kel said...

Loving the snow here too!lol

thefukases said...

Those exercise bikes? Fabulous for drying towels in front of the fire. I swear I would use mine so much more if it wasn't already being so well utilised warming my bath towel for me. *sigh* the sacrifices I make...

illahee said...

make a snow woman!

...am hating the snow. :(

heather, hilarious! i think our exercise bike in the US was a great coat rack....

Kelly said...

Looks like a winter wonderland. :)

You are very brave for driving out in all that snow!

Do you guys say "stud muffin" in NZ?

Ruth said...

We say studless tyres here but we don't use them that often. Could have done with them last week though. Had to take a day and a half off because of our snow. Bet the kids love it though!

tj-injapan said...

your house looks so cool in the snow, wow! I miss those few days of snow - tokyo is so boring on the snow front.
Don't miss driving in it tho...but yep, the student was a bit of a stud muffin, wasn't he!

Midori said...

The booby thing made me laugh. Joey is going to be a SERIOUS boob-man when he grows up as he has said similar things to Shou's comments AND when he started nursery he used to grab his teacher's boobs randomly. (Although he had just weaned at that point so I can kind of understand the continued obsession!) He has grown out of that but lately has become interested in breast-feeding again for some unknown reason. Very bizarre.. (Should point out that he has been weaned for nearly 3 years now, no idea where the sudden interest comes from..)

We have had SO much snow here in London, it is really awful as we don't normally get any at all so nobody knows how to deal with it! I avoid driving if at all possible but sometimes you just have to suck it up and get on with it. I am sure it will clear up there before we get rid of it though..

Gaijin Wife said...

Fukasas - I am having trouble even getting the peddles on the fu##er so it may not even get as far as being a clothes horse. More swear words and obscenities. It's a diet in itself just assembling the bastard.

Illahee - I couldn't do that to the snow woman - Shou would just go out and launch missile after missile at her boobs and try and fondle them, after which they would most probably melt or fall off.

Kelly - stud muffin. Yes!! Hopefully get to see me some stud muffins in Fukuoka.

Midori - not very comforting to know that he may come back to all things booby in a few years, that is if he goes through a time of not being obsessed with them in between. His teachers haven't mentioned that he's being trying to grab all of their boobs so I guess that's a blessing. Fingers crossed.

nikintheguch said...

Very impressive that you wanted to make a snowman! I must be a horrible mother as Liam had to drag me outside to play and I only lasted about 10 minutes as I was freezing. I don't think the temperature got up over -3 here though!

Lol at stud! Do you remember that show Studs? It was hilarious!

nikintheguch said...

By the way, I have an exercise bike and actually use it a bit! It's sitting in the living room so I get guilted into doing it and it's much more appealing than going outside in the cold or heat and I can always watch something trashy while I do it :-)

Coffeegrl said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog (the thing with my sister). It was immensely helpful to hear from the Internet that I am not alone! Others have love/hate sometimes tense relationships with their siblings. I suppose that's the nature of sibling relationships in the end, but it sure helped to hear I'm not alone!

Studless tires huh? We have snow tires and studded tires in the Pacific NW. The "studs" are like spikes and aren't even legal on roads in NY for example, but in the "wild west" that is near Seattle, studded tires are sometimes the only thing that make it possible to go up snowy mountainsides. I've never heard of "studless". Interesting!

Anonymous said...

A few hours north of Seattle in Vancouver, we do say "studless tires"—such variety, this language of ours, eh? The other type of stud makes for rather more interesting conversation, though...

Floria in Tokyo

Gina said...

A little late in commenting, but I wanted to say, what a gorgeous picture of your house!!! : )