Sunday, 1 November 2009

Stag Beetle Maggots - Nice.

Another Sunday behind us. About fifteen hundred to go until I can kick them all out of the house. Bloody hell.

Actually our morning was fab - thank you very much Jo. We left home at half nine and drove to Jo's without much nutting out in the car. Had a cuppa and some fabulous home-made cinnamon roll (yum yum) while Shou and Marina discovered a whole cupboard of new toys. The men then took the boys to go find disgusting stag beetle maggots - the size of a childs palm. Gross. We got eight and gave four to coffee Chimei's boys on the way home. They should be doing absolutely nothing for the next eight months before turning into fantastic horned stag bettles about next June or July. And if that works and they are big and horny then I may well start a maggot stag beetle business in Kunimi - there is big money in stag bettles. They sell for a thousand yen each for a normal one. LOTS more if you have a big or rare one. Nothing some growth hormones and gold pen wont fix! Stopped at home centre to get them some good growing dirt and the man there thought I was from Sweden!!

Gave the kids some rice balls in the car on the way home and Marina went down for her nap almost straight away. Shou wouldn't though, despite being absolutely knackered. Ryu was also packing a sad and wouldn't settle so I ended up taking him out in the car shopping to the supermarket in the next town over. We got home and made 'nabe' for dinner. Nabe is usually a big pot put in the middle of the table so that everyone can eat out of it - or rather scoop food out into their plate. Meat, veges and tofu is the standard. For obvious, non-toddler friendly, reasons I didn't do the in the middle of the table thing but cooked it all and then dished it out. They scoffed it back and even ate shit like carrots, raddish and cabbage - that usually need to be disguised as chocolate, chips and cheese before they eat it. What a find. Will have to do that A LOT more this winter.

Hub had wannabe fire brigade this evening so took Shou - who got his monthly ride in a noddy town fire engine. Came home and had bath and put him to bed - while I hid. If I'm not around Shou wont do the whole mummy mummy thing. I put him to bed most nights so on the nights hub is home at bed time I prefer to hide and get him to do it - as it still takes about half an hour or so.

Other than that - the house is a complete right off. Will take me at least all of tomorrow to sort it out - after which the kids will trash it all over again on Tuesday what with it being a public holiday and all. Bloody culture day.

Ooooh, high tiger boy's mum had her baby in the early hours of this morning - a little girl, two weeks early, healthy and she sounds well. Going to visit her at the clinic on Wednesday. Gotta take these baby visits when I can after all!!

Spoke to little bro today. We talk lots and the older we get the more I value his company and converstation. Don't get me wrong, I've always liked the lad but it is different now. I am SO LOOKING FORWARD to his maybe, hopefully, probably visit next year. He's not hooked up yet so is the only family member who has more freedom to come and visit - bar of course mum and dad who are retired and have both the time and money to visit but just choose not to cause too much hassle. My little bro has no cash and he still wants to come. Love that. That and it is his best friends wedding in Hokkaido next year - which I plan on gatecrashing with Ryu.

Anyway, gotta have an early night on Sundays.

SDGH&QL

5 comments:

thefukases said...

Ohhhh aren't the beetle maggots yucky. I feed all ours to the chooks but K keeps going on about raising and selling them... hmmmm.... may see how yours go!

Kelly said...

Rellies coming over is a good excuse for a holiday! :)

Nay said...

Oh I am so glad I haven't had the pleasure of seeing beetle maggots!! Definitely doesn't sound like my cup of tea. I think that type of activity will have to be done with papa on days I am not around :)

We had our first nabe of the season a couple of weeks ago!! It is definitely my favourite winter food and I too eat so many veggies it's not funny!! It's the only time I will eat tofu too...

I hope your brother does end up making to visit. Visits from family are always nice!! I am still waiting for my sister or brother to visit. The only person who thinks buying a plane ticket is worth the money to see me is my mum unfortunately...

Lulu said...

I love nabe but we don`t have a nabe set at the moment but I am hoping we will get it the next time we go to the in-laws for dinner- espcially if I get Shun to ring in advance and request kimichi nabe. YUM!

I used to make it on the stove in Australia and then dish it out but it is not the same- I mean it tastes the same but the atmosphere is not the same. Might have to try and hijack a friends nabe party or something...

Those beetle maggots sounds gross. Also glad I have never had to do tht but you might be onto something with selling them as you are right- they do sell for 1000yen a pop which is some nice money for cheese or cake.

Hope your brother makes it over- my little brother is visiting late March next year with his gf and I am so excited. He has not been to Japan since he was just 17 and I was on exchange (my parents sent him to me for a holiday. haha) and it will be the first time for his gf. Just in time for the blossoms too!

Brit in Hokkaido said...

LOL. I love the fact that I get to hear about your brother's best friend's wedding wedding on your blog and not from my friend (the groom) himself!!!!!

If I am invited- and there WILL be problems if I am not invited just incase The Kiwi reads this blog- we may actually get to meet GW....stranger things have happened...