Wednesday, 24 June 2009

Multitasking

Granny K came in this evening and asked if I needed a hand - the kids weren't nutting out but she had heard Ryu start crying and knew the kids had just gotten home from kindy.

I declined graciously as think am fully capable of breastfeeding baby standing up while using other arm to sort Shou and Marina's dinner out, as well as using my superior powers of persuasion to get the Tasmanian devil and the princess to stop tearing through the house. Dinner on the table and Ryu kept sucking on left boob while I fed Marina with right hand and while Shou sat at his little table sucking on his fork which he kept dipping in the T-sauce. He called this 'eating' his dinner. What a joke. That's like me saying three bits of cake and a pkt of crisps is just part of the diet!

I had to pretend to ring daddy twice to get him to eat all (make that 70 percent) of his tea. What was for afters .... melon. As predicted there were four in the box. I gave one to Granny K and she made some comment about it not fitting in her fridge but not to worry as was good for another week before eating. She made this assumption after performing age-old vestling melon test involving sniff test and a few knocks. The melon I cut open tonight was at that 'almost but not quite - really not going to last more than a couple of days' stage. It was yummy yum yum but I doubt a week on Granny K's floor would be a good idea. Almost feel sorry for the melon I gave to her. Will have to spend a week on floor beside half empty bottle of twenty year old pickled plums, ten big long radish and a bucket of cucumbers picked five days ago.

Hub got home as soon as possible since the move to the next town. Will never be in time for the dinner thing but the bath thing - yes. I had put Ryu in early though so it was just Shou and Marina. Shou was a complete ratbag at bedtime - forty minutes with daddy before pulling the 'I want to sleep with mummy' crap. After this kind of carry on mummy usually turns into mean mummy and even more so when as soon as I get up to his room and start the nighty night routine he pulls the 'I want daddy' shite. Unlike daddy though mummy doesn't come running down the stairs in defeat. No no, she says daddy has gone to work and it's mummy or no-one. Fast forward half an hour and all the kids are finally asleep. Fast forward another half an hour and so is hub. Fast forward another half an hour and mum has a glass of red wine and ten minutes to wait until Desperate Housewives comes on. I have just discovered this - as in about twenty minutes ago. I plan on watching it, giving Ryu some milk when he wakes next and then hitting the futon.

We actually got a couple of good sleeps today - one this morning upstairs and one this arvo downstairs on couch - one of those, I LOVE HAVING A BABY AGAIN kind of sleeps where bubs is on tummy snuggled in between his favorite food sources, left boob and right boob. He is feeling so safe with mummy's arms around him and the sound of her heart beneath him. Gotta love those sleeps. All good until you fall into deep slumber too and you both nearly fall off the couch. Fortunately that didn't happen - I woke up with the 'falling down stairs' syndrome just in time.

Well, on my list for tomorrow is to finally make Shou's sticker incentive chart - my god, I have been putting this off for so long. Silly really as am sure will be great when we have it up and running. Also only take about twelve and half minutes to make. Am thinking chocolate and zucchini cake on list too and perhaps a nap or two, a few cups of tea, a walk round the paddies ... need to enjoy my last Thursday before all hell breaks loose with the start of English classes again next week. I saw one of the mothers today and suggested maybe joining my two Thursday classes together so I only have an hour - which would mean eight girls together aged seven to ten. They all know each other though and for the most part we do similar stuff but the older kids do a bit more writing and get away with less pissing round. I 'think' it would work. Hmmm...

SDGH&QL

Hub left for bed saying him and the superchinchin were off to bed. Sorry buddy, but you and the superchinchin are going to have to go it alone for a bit longer.

11 comments:

illahee said...

i must say, you're husband's pretty brave.... LOL

gaijin wife said...

Brave? Because he rates himself as having a superchinchin? Is it a plane? is it a bird? NO, it's hub and his superchinchin.

gaijin wife said...

or brave because he married me.

thefukases said...

the town next door is Japan's biggest producer of watermelons and they have these funky infra red scanners that give you the lowdown on the state of the melon in a zap. I'll send you down one to best Granny K's sniff test. :)

What's going to be on the sticker chart? We used them for Meg and it worked a treat. That kid would do anything for a sticker but predictably Amy saw right through it and didn't want a sticker anyway...

Good luck juggling the classes. I teach a group of 10 kids from 5-8 years old and we do 30 minutes active stuff together then break into groups (older and younger) and do separate worksheets. Works well and some of the littlies tackle the older sheet and the faster biggies help out the littlies. All very harmonious and multi-age learning wonderful. :)

Sara said...

superchinchin... please tell me he actually said that about himself.. that would make my day

and i think if i was in your position i would be saying the same thing - if its so super it can take care of itself for a bit!!!!

Nay said...

lol @ your DH's ego!! hehehe!!

The sticker chart sounds like a great idea. We have one at the day care centre for the kids when they start toilet training. It really gives them the motivation to try!! I hope the sticker chart helps Shou do what ever it is you are using the chart for :)

I accidently left eating a melon we received off a friend too late and ended up having to throw it out because it was so gross :(

Lulu said...

i love melons and they are getting quite cheap at the moment (not as cheap as home, but still)

Wow your husband was game with his superchinchin remark...I would add another four weeks to the ban just for that :-)

Had to laugh at the post before this one about the old grannies making comments about Ryu being out before 4 weeks- seriously, what is with that in Japan? I hope nobody objects to me taking the baby to the supermarket the day I get out of the hospital.

Midori said...

LOL@ the superchinchin thing!

I made Joey a sticker chart to encourage him to poo in the potty(he wee-trained pretty quickly but refused to poo for some reason) and the very next day he decided (without me having to use the chart) that poo-ing in the toilet was cool and I ended up giving the chart to my neighbour! LOL! Hopefully you will have the same success! ;-)

Chrysanthemum Mum said...

Hope the sticker chart works. Very jealous of all these comments about how kids have easily been persuaded to do things with the promise of stickers. I thought it was going well, but now it has become a no-no and my boy isn't interested in the loo or the stickers. You're going to use it for an incentive to eat dinner and tidy up toys, right?

I think you're marvelous the way you manage two toddlers and a newborn and are even considering starting your classes again! I really struggle keeping it together and I've only got two kids. What an inspiration you are! I must try harder...

gaijin wife said...

Sorry to be so misleading - I am sooo not an inspiration !! Remember I farm Shou and Marina off to kindy every day. My own flesh and blood and some days I just can't wait to get them in the car!!

The stickers will be for eating dinner - eating it all and eating it on own, Cleaning teeth (pretty good at this one anyway but figure we need at lest one that will get a sticker every day to keep him motivated), Getting dressed by self and hopefully, if the chart is a success, I will add going to bed by self.

illahee said...

nah, brave as in mentioning his superchinchin to his wife less than a month after his third child is born...