Monday, 4 May 2009

Inebriated hub

Lucky I didn't bring hub home and then go out on my own for a few hours this afternoon. The useless man was inebriated as they come. He has a few stages of over indulgence - the first is a nice cuddly pished and the next is just pissed and no fun as can't manage anything and is more annoying having him around than not.

I was supposed to pick up one of his friends on the way - who also has the same last name as us and is some distant relative of some kind. He lives a few paddies over so we stop there and he comes running out half dressed saying he just got call from wife and eldest son has broken hand playing baseball so he has to go to the hospital. Get to the christening location and half the town office blokes are just heading in too - no doubt all leaving there wives at home to look after kids while they get pissed in the middle of the day.

I get back home and put Marina to bed, followed closely by Shou and I. They are still asleep when I get up at half two but both wake up as I am walking out the door to get hub - who rang with a 'mukaenikette (come get me)' call. Ended up taking Shou with me while GK looked after Marina. As soon as I got to the place I saw a guy I used to work with and he was loaded so I knew hub wasn't going to be in a much better state. Right I am.

Because the friend who had to go to the hospital didn't turn up hub had to bring his obento and thank you gift back for him, so we swing past his house on the way home. Hub has to multitask - as in carry two things and walk at the same time. Very difficult task and one that he completely fucks up and drops obento right in the doorway and everything falls out - a flying shrimp, some tempura, some pickles. I imagine all that was left in the actual box was some green grass look a like plastic stuff and that spongy tofu shit that you always leave anyway. I almost laughed despite trying to be the stern gaijinwife.

Get home and hub just about does a repeat performance of obento drop when he picks up Marina. After a few 'you kids are the bestest kids in the world' type stuff (notice lack of wife comment in there) he heads to the toilet where he stays for twenty minutes - he was throwing up. Throwing up people. Hub is 44 in a couple of weeks. Sooooo not impressed. He was of course in no way capable of helping me with anything at all so I send him upstairs to sleep. All the kids got was 'daddy was working too hard and he is really tired'. Bollocks bollocks bollocks. He came back downstairs about half an hour ago - after the chaos, after the mayhem, when the kids are all clean and sleepy - and in fact Marina is already in bed.

He apologises. To his credit. But am still not impressed.

Am sick of hearing the word 'tsukiai' - a word they use for a lot of things here. In this case it means he is almost obligated to attend these functions - and is in fact representing the whole family. This kind of 'discussion' always ends up with a few 'but you are actually wanting to go just a little bit aren't you' and the inevitable 'not really but I have to' response from hub.

OK, so you have to go and show your support or whatever but in my book that DOES NOT involve being 'obligated' to drink until you throw up.

What a lot of it comes down to I think is that I am never the one invited to these things and hub is always the one that gets a break from the mundane household and kid stuff and the chance to get a nice meal and a few drinks and some time out - even if it is in surroundings and with people he wouldn't choose himself.

Ah well. I did know about all this shite before I got married - I guess I just didn't know how it would make me feel when I was pregnant and looking after two toddlers at home!!

Hub went upstairs to put Shou to sleep and I imagine has stayed that way himself. Pain really as I can't get much more of the bastard translation done if I haven't got him to tell me what half the characters are!!

We are maybe off to go washing machine shopping tomorrow but I would really like is hub to look after both the kids while I go out - although really nowhere in 8 months pregnant driving distance I can get a nice coffee at!!

SDGH&QL

7 comments:

ローラ said...

I'm glad Takeshi is in the profession where you don't necessarily have those "mandatory Japanese employee get-togethers/get pissed-face drunk" things.

I would not be too impressed, either.

Takeshi's dad works for the Honda plant in Suzuka-shi, so he actually has that obligation to attend those kinds of "parties". When we still lived with his parents, his dad would come stumbling in at 1am, plastered and fall into bed...

thefukases said...

Otsukaresama...

Must be the season or something. K spent two hours 'sleeping' on the cold tiles in the genkan last week. Then tried the 'honey, I didn't want *want* to drink, they *made* me. Yeah right!

Milk the guilt tomorrow! And enjoy washing machine shopping- I love being buttered up by salesmen...

illahee said...

yoshi hates to drink a lot, so he rarely comes home in a 'state'. but he still 'has' to go to these things. well, for work anyway. he usually ends up spending extra money, too. *sigh* next week apparently he has three....

Rachel said...

Next time he throws the 'representing the family' line at you, offer to switch places...

Slime said...

No posts in 6 days? Hopefully you're just so busy putting a new washing machine to good use that you haven't had a chance to blog! Hope everything is okay ;)

Jo Tomooka said...

I'm with "Slime"... are you okay? I have tried calling a couple of times today to make sure that the absence of posts doesn't mean some catastrophe, but there has been no answer. Hopefully all it means is that you are having too much fun to type....

Oyomesan said...

Just found your Blog!
You have my sympathies...Yujiro has never thrown up in the house...but he sleeps and sleeps and sleeps...

Love Granny K by the way...I have Okaasan...

Hope you make him feel OH so guilty.

You need time out for sure!