Tuesday, 21 April 2009

300 and 33

This will be my 300th post. A lot of bloggers do exciting and interesting things to mark these milestones. I'm not one of those bloggers.

I am awaiting hub's call for his wife taxi home. He said he would mail at nine, I'd say it will be about twenty to ten - which is my deadline for driving the twenty minutes to pick him up. Mainly because much after that and Granny K will fall asleep, hence taking the 'keep an ear out' of 'can you keep an ear out for the kids while I'm gone'. Very rarely do they wake up during that time so should be fine though.

I didn't make much of a dent in the clothes pile today. All good intentions for tomorrow though.

After dropping the rug rats off at kindy I continued on to the clinic for my checkup. I am in my 33rd week now and the ultrasound showed that the bunster is about 2000 grams. They decided it was time to do my third trimester bloods which tested HIV (again - I thought they tested for this at the start, and if so do they think am scanky hoe parading on street corners with skirt up round ass while am pregnant?), ATL (whatever that is), chlamydia (sp??), Toxoplasma, and a few other random things I can't decipher. It appears I am negative for all of them although the tests did come back saying was iron deficient.

Doctor gave me prescription for hellish iron tablets that I think I still have a load left over from both times before with Shou and Marina. Bung me up something chronic and believe me, straining on the toilet is not something you want to be doing in your last trimester. Damn well enough of that to push the head out.

I had a few questions to ask the doctor this time but my relief at not being told off about just about breaking the scales made me forget to ask them. For future reference they are...

1) can you show me the placenta. Pretty please.
2) will you let me take it home if I want. Gross but am wondering if should put round base of tree we planted when Shou was born. Even if the doctor said yes though I wonder if hub would agree to be the placenta transporter.
3) How do I go about convincing my husband to have the snip - as opposed to me getting the chop and tie. Where can this be done and can you please tell me husband that having the snip won't suddenly mean he loses all his manhood, grows breasts (although would probably like that), and starts getting all bitchy and hormonal - which is so not allowed to happen as only need one bitchy hormonal person in the house and I do believe that role is reserved for me.

I had to hand in my birth questionnaire and write my name on the calender on my expected due date. They also had to make sure I was giving birth there - as opposed to all my other options.... which would be having granny K sorting out hot water, a big plastic sheet and towels while I pushed the bun out in the middle of a friggen rice paddie. Bring on the nice ladies clinic with private rooms, yummy meals and nurses who will take your baby when you are so bloody knackered that you can't cope, or who will massage your sore and milk loaded boobs (hope nobody googles that). Having someone else massage your boobs must be an odd concept for some women and I admit that with Shou, when they were ouchy ouchy and the nurse just told me to whip them out so she could massage the duct into a warm flowing river of milk, I was a bit nervous but not anymore. Japan is an odd place, but the longer you are here and the more children you have here, the more acceptable and 'normal' it becomes.

Anyhoo, that was my morning checkup. My blood pressure was good, no protein in my pee, but a bit of puffy ankle syndrome - despite hub's best efforts last night at massaging them better. I got home after some tea drinking with a friend and spot of shopping, at lunch time. Had afternoon nap in the sun upstairs before doing minimal amount of house duties and getting dinner sorted for me and the kids. We had 'boro'. Am not sure what name is in English but it is a yummy fish that I imagine would be very nice done as fish and chips fish. As it happened I lightly floured it and fried it. Shou had it with ponzu (yummy Japanese put on anything dressing) and Marina threw it all over the floor.

SDGH&QL

Edit - twenty past nine. Hub has just mailed to ask if I can please pick him up at 10. SIGH. Why is it that we know our men better than they know themselves!!

7 comments:

medea said...

The big snip is really rare here. The wife has to sign that she's okay with it and unmarried men aren't allowed to do it. Weird, huh. It costs between 10 and 15 man which is kind of expensive I think, but cheaper than the alternative. Hope you get a recommendation of a good hospital.

gaijin wife said...

Seriously!! Expensive, but when I think about the alternatives - one of which would be us on TV on one of those huge family programs because we have ten kids :p

illahee said...

oh man. i asked the dr to show me the placenta every time. even though it grossed me out to see hiro's. i think i kinda forgot when i had sasha. then i saw it and was, 'oh yeah, it's gross.' LOL and you'd think i'd remember that but no, i asked to see tommy's, too!

i didn't take any of them home, though. i had read that some women freeze theirs and then have a bit of it when their hormones are out of whack. just to balance them out. ew ew ew!

missbehaving said...

My Dh wouldn't go for the snip, his reaction was' do you think I'm a dog?'.
We ate our first placenta, it wasn't a big deal, full of nutrients. 2nd time we forgot to ask, 3rd time we tried to sneak out with it and leave the baby ;) LOL.
Love your blog, it's hilarious.

missbehaving said...

P.S. did not know that about Medea's info concerning wife's permission for a snip, must be the only thing a wife gives permission for here.

Sarah@mommyinjapan said...

I wish I would've had my tubes tied when I gave birth to my 4th baby. My husband had agreed that it was his turn to endure some pain so I just told my doctor blithely that it wasn't necessary. I was an idiot. When we went to the first appointment for his vasectomy the doctor tried to talk us out of it. We were sitting there with four kids who were sll born within 5 years. Finally, after much pleading from me, he grudgingly agreed to do it. During the surgery, when Chikara winced from the pain, the doctor said, "I told you it was going to hurt". And after the surgery he just laid in bed for a week.

I wish I would've just taken care of it when I had the chance!

PS I did have to sign a form!

Sarah@mommyinjapan said...

I wish I would've had my tubes tied when I gave birth to my 4th baby. My husband had agreed that it was his turn to endure some pain so I just told my doctor blithely that it wasn't necessary. I was an idiot. When we went to the first appointment for his vasectomy the doctor tried to talk us out of it. We were sitting there with four kids who were sll born within 5 years. Finally, after much pleading from me, he grudgingly agreed to do it. During the surgery, when Chikara winced from the pain, the doctor said, "I told you it was going to hurt". And after the surgery he just laid in bed for a week.

I wish I would've just taken care of it when I had the chance!

PS I did have to sign a form!