Tuesday, 24 March 2009

Silence is Golden

Marina got a pretty good night sleep for someone sleeping in the hallway. The bunster and I didn't though and I had a wickedly sore tum for about an hour - so much that I thought the silly bitch had worked me up into early labor and I was going to have to run a trip to the lovely ladies clinic in Beppu - where I went for a few of the no gos and for the first six months I was pregnant with Shou. The doctor there is Japanese version of Magnum PI and the clinic is lovely. Wouldn't have been as so under the circumstances if I had actually needed to go but. I can definately say that sleeping in a bed when you are 28 weeks along is a hell of a lot preferable to a futon. Especially when you need to get up to pee five times a night.

I tried to convince Marina she needed a long morning nap but she was wide awake so we pottered round and then come ten o'clock hopped in the car to go to the big department store for some hate-the-mother-in-law retail therapy. Ended up with very styly top and shoes for Marina from trendy kids shop that was having seventy percent off closing down sale. Got lots of foreign sweets and cool stickers for English class purposes. Hmmm, got some very cheap ozzie beef that has been put in freezer for the start of yakiniku season and hmmm, that might have been it. We had ramen for lunch and everybody around us was so engrossed in the Japan vs Korea final of the World Baseball Classic that they didn't notice Marina having great time flinging bits of tonkotsu ramen all over the place.

Speaking of which, we got home in time to see the end of the baseball. I am not a huge baseball fan - what with being from the land of shite baseball players and all, but must admit that even I was engrossed for the end - sitting on the edge of the kitchen chair, biting my nails and watching with the sound down for christ sake - like when watching a thriller. Somehow watching without the sound makes the suspense more bearable!! And then we won - as in Japan. Was highly exciting and felt like going out to buy bottle of champers just so could crack it open and spray all over place.

As for Granny K - I haven't seen her since Sunday - not counting the few fleeting glimpses of something very short in a vest pushing a wheelbarrow up to the vege patch. I am presuming her absence means she hasn't sat down and contemplated our Sunday run in and come to any conclusion along the lines of...

OK, so the damn woman called me a silly bitch but I guess I can understand seeing as I obviously crossed the line and, eventhough I don't think it was wrong, it obviously upset her and perhaps I should be more sensitive to her way of doing things.

There was one instance today when I thought she might be coming in here to say something - and I was honestly wondering where I could hide. The bump obviously means that quite a few hiding places are out of the question though. As it happened she didn't come in and I didn't have to crawel out from under the dining room table to try and remember the speal I had practiced in the car on the way home - about different cultures, about clashes of opinion, about blah blah rah rah. Remembered and stored for another day.

Time to hit the hay. Am a bit shattered from the drive, the not much sleep and the shopping :). Can't complain though. I have realised I need more out times to cope with the current situation. That, or a hammer, or a frypan, or a chainsaw, or a bit of arsnic, or a vestling exploder, or a .....

SDGH&QL

5 comments:

Jo Tomooka said...

The cottage is closer AND has beds! Hope to see you soon...

illahee said...

agree. bed is much better than futon when pregnant. hell, any time a bed is better than a futon. sometimes we just don't have a choice. *sigh*

Midori said...

Have to say that one of the things I never feel natukashii about is sleeping on futons. Beds are definitely better, no question!!

Gina said...

Yup I agree with the others and you too. Beds rule in comfort....no doubt! : )

When we first moved to Japan, our first 5 month's we slept on a futon. I hated every single night of it. I wish I could say differently but it's true. Then we bought our queen size bed and I've been sleeping quite comfy ever since. Now, we have beds in all the bedrooms. Noah's never slept on a futon at all, except for when we go to Osaka to visit our in-laws. And the last time we visited the in-laws, hubby got a terrible crink in his neck and a back ache, he blamed it on the futon, ha ha ha! I don't think any of us got good sleep while we were there. But we do enjoy visiting them, it's just the futon sleeping that sucks. : (

Slime said...

Hooray! I'm so glad you enjoyed your time away! I'm a full believer in "mommy time-out", I take them regularly, and I don't even have a MIL-from-hell that I need to escape from! As the saying goes "If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!" You have to take care of yourself, or pretty soon, you won't be able to take care of anyone!