Friday, 13 February 2009

Bravo

Bravo and hats off to you Japan for making what could have potentially been a shite experience and perhaps even a cold day, what with all the boob flashing I thought I might be doing, and turning it into a breeze ...

It took a bit to get to sleep last night after my cry and vent. I am not good at 'switching off' at night anyway and Shou picked up on things and I think he kept just chatting away until about 1am. I was nearly ready to pack the whole day in today as was thinking I couldn't handle the two hour drive each way on only four hours sleep - which was of course not four hours in an actual row.

Anyway, alarm off at five and me downstairs in shower by five past. Put the fire on, sorted out as much of the kid stuff as I could before they woke up and then thats it for me - out the door at six for the two hour drive to the licence place. New place was very easy to find and I was first in line at the renewal office. Had a LOVELY policeman dealing with it all. And after asking if I could understand Japanese he then proceeded to talk to me like a normal person. I was in and out of there in thirty minutes. Painless. Whole centre is full of old policemen asking you what you have come for and showing you what to do. They even had a nice kiddy playroom and booby room (for breastfeeding not flashing) so that should I feel inclined to lose my licence again it wouldn't be much of a major taking a child or two with me.

From there I drove twenty minutes to the immigration office and was in there handing in my papers by half nine. There was a little bit of tut tutting from the man looking at my paperwork but five minutes later and I get called over and given a piece of paper with dates on it - during which time I need to come back so that my passport can get the new Visa sticker. I don't understand??? the immigration office has never ever been that easy. Maybe I was surrounded in a 'don't piss this gaijin off' light!

The bunster and I took advantage of the time and walked into town to Tokiwa - because there basement floor with all the food is fab and while the bunster had demanded a piece of vegemite on toast at half five before we left, I was feeling a bit peckish by ten. Very very yummy cheesey roll things and some salad and bacon, asparagas and cheese things for dinner and we were off again, via starbucs to get a take away latte. The latest one is honey and orange and oh my god, what a flavor sensation. Am thinking is bestest for bunster and surrounding tummy home that starbucs is so far away.

Got home just before one to find Marina happy, albeit with the leftovers of lunch and half a cup of snot on her face but still, happy. Not a pair of nail clippers or lighters or mochi in sight. Granny K was relieved to see us home so early and was in her room in about thirty seconds flat and by the sounds of it having a siesta about four minutes after that. We weren't far away and by one Marina and I were siesta-ing too.

So, not quite the day I was expecting. A nice surprise. Hub has said all of about ten words to me today - which included a phone call on my way home to see if everything had gone OK.

Me: moshi moshi
hub: dekitakai (get it sorted?)
Me: dekitayo (yep, sorted)
hub: jya (later)
Me: jya (later)

He was home late-ish tonight and has now gone to bed. I am sitting here wondering whether to scoff more of his valentines day choccies he got from the girls at work. I was thinking about making some chocs but he gets a 'pink pair of lips' choc that I got at starbucs this morning. He is probably hoping he gets lucky on valnetines day but then maybe, after his mad wife's mood last night, isn't expecting too much in the way of international relations meetings. Good, as really can't be flagged - especially with bunster making lower back sore and the start of the puffy ankle syndrome- although that could be due to all the walking we did or perhaps the lemon orange latte went straight down to my ankles.

Thankyou for all the cyber hugs and luck from yesterday's vent. Nice to know I'm not the only one that thinks Japan has a long way to go in making this a foreigner friendly country. I am going to go and try and 'register' my children on my paperwork on Monday.

Nearly nine o'clock - I should actually probably have an early night and a snuggle (as in exactly that - snuggle or cuddle and not shaguddle) - last night's behavior was I believe quite understandable but it really has absolutely nothing to do with hub (although I wish HE would be a bit more understanding) so I should just do the 'sorry' thing and go back to happy families.

SDGH&QL

6 comments:

thefukases said...

Glad it went well for you- and I am definitely going to Kunimi for my next license renewal- mine was horrible!!

Feeling like my Valentine's Day treat will have to involve Starbucks, now...

Lulu said...

hehe that convo with hub cracked me up!!!

Glad it all went smoothly and you got your new license and are now just awaiting the stamp in your passport for your visa.

I guess the bunster boobs helped!!! Or maybe Japan is actually getting better with all there forms and crap.....nah it was probably the boobs!

Lulu said...

hehe that convo with hub cracked me up!!!

Glad it all went smoothly and you got your new license and are now just awaiting the stamp in your passport for your visa.

I guess the bunster boobs helped!!! Or maybe Japan is actually getting better with all there forms and crap.....nah it was probably the boobs!

anchan said...

So glad you had a good day - everything always seems so much better when things go smoother than you anticipated! Do you know, I've never been to a Starbucks?!

'shaguddle' - rofl!!

Slime said...

Yay! I'm so glad things went smoothly! I'm such a pesimist, when things go well, I usually assume I did something wrong, or incompletely, and always expect it to come back and bite me in the booty later (and it usually does)!

The military is infamous for what we call "hurry up, and wait." There's always a huge rush to get mounds of useless paperwork done, and always in the most inefficient way possible, then you just wait, and wait, and wait for whatever the end result is supposed to be.

I tried a sample of the honey orange, it's was nice.

Ruth said...

Glad you got it all sorted. I used to find that about anything in Japan, the preparation is an absolute nightmare for a process that takes about 10 mins! The Staba coffee sounds lovely although my favourite will always be the orange mocha, like drinking a Terry`s Chocolate Orange. Payday on Friday and this day next week I`ll be booking my flights. Woo hoo!!