Thursday, 26 February 2009

Best Time of Day

A recent Japanese TV show did a study into the time of week that husbands and wives look forward to the most. The show pretty much only looked into two parent households with children where the wife was a stay at home mum - limiting the study of course but interesting none the less.

As they were doing the lead up I had in mind the exact time I thought a mother would say. When the scene of the husband's 'most favoured' time came up Hub totally agreed - a scene where the husband is sitting down on the couch obviously after dinner, a pre-teen son is showing him a picture or homework from school, and the wife is looking pretty, smiling and putting a cup of tea for her tired husband on the table - no mug by the way, all coasters and pretty cups. I laughed.

Then the scene the mother 'most favoured' came on. 10 am on a Monday morning. The business of the morning and doing lunches, getting kids sorted, doing breakfast and getting the family out the door is over. The first round of cleaning is probably done and the mother is sitting on the couch with a mug of coffee stuffing her face with morning tea and laughing hysterically at something on daytime TV.

Clasic!

That has been my morning this morning although it is only half nine and a Thursday. I still have a lot to do of course but at the moment I have my big size starbucks mug (full of instant coffee unfortunately), the fire is on, two loads of washing are done, the vacuuming finished, the bench shiny, hub sent off to work with a wife-made lunch with all the compulsory obento bits and beautiful color arrangements, a son sent off to kindy fed with all his clothes on the right way and a daughter in peaceful slumber upstairs. I am not laughing hysterically at something on TV - as for me TV doesn't really crank up until later in the arvo when the re-runs of CSI and Medium and the likes come on satelite. Not much viewing on Wednesdays and Thursdays though due to afternoon English classes.

It is a beautiful day. I was even able to, wait for it, hang washing outside and reclaim our lounge that has for the past few weeks been a Chinese laundry. I even might be up for a walk later if I can bundle Marina in enough clothes and sneak her past Granny K, aka the wannabe weather lady.

Yesterday I went to the town office to sort out the gaijin card. It was an easy process but things got difficult when I asked if I could fill something out to get Marina and Shou's name on my paperwork. There was half an hour of manual reading between the two people manning the 'residents' desk at the office. They didn't look like there were getting round to reaching a conclusion anytime soon so I asked if I could take a nutting out Marina away and come back on our way home. No problem.

We went on our playdate and did the shopping on my list and stopped back at the office a couple of hours later. APPARENTLY....

Because I am not the head of the household (what do they know) I am only able to get hub's details on my paperwork. Should I need anything certifying things then I needed to get a copy of hub's family register. I got a tad irate and fired question after question at the lady - who I know hasn't got anything to do with the stupid politics behind it but still - shoot the messenger. In the end I said

'so I have none of my own paperwork that says I have two children?'
'No, but you don't need it, you have your husband's'
'If I was a permanent resident would it be any different?'
(she looks back at her books and makes to take it off her desk)
'Don't worry. Do I need to fill anything out, cross anything else out on that last bit of paper?'
'No'

- sound of big pregnant angry foreigner exiting town office
- sound of big pregnant angry foreigner squealing out of carpark
- sound of big pregnant angry foreigner crying in frustration again

(camera zooms back to town office where lady has written a message for hub saying 'watch out tonight, your wife is in a bitch of a mood ;p )

Actually hub didn't say anything about it so no doubt the whole office (only twenty of them) are just thinking to themselves what a pshyco I am and feeling sorry for hub. Or they could be passing an envelope round to try and raise money for my ticket home - alone, what with seeing as I officially don't have any children and hub is a single father of two.

Anyway, that's out of my system.

Both english classes yesterday went well. I had bought a strawberry roll cake for the evening class. yum yum. One of the girls who was leaving had made me a batch of scones and written a very nice letter that made me laugh - thinking that she was probably complaining to her mother as to that she didn't know what to write and her mum was probably telling her to just write something that would make the teacher feel good. This is what she wrote...

immamade honto ni arigatou gozaimashita
tottemo tottemo tanoshikatta desu
bijin de totemo omoshiroi sensei deshita
korekaramo karadani kiwotsukete kawaii kodomosan to ganbattekudasai

Thank you for teaching me the last three years.
I really enjoyed the classes.
You are a beautiful and fun teacher.
Please take care and all the best to you and your beautiful children.

Ah well, brownie points for giving me a laugh and making me feel good. The scones were exceptionally yummy too.

Well, It's nearly ten so I should get into round two - which is sorting out my English classes for this arvo. As it is the end of the month I will be giving them their fee envelopes to take home, put some dosh in, and bring back next week - to give gaijinwife the needs to fund her international phone and satelite bills. However, I first need to make a record of all the dosh I got during 2008 - hub needs a record for tax purposes and that shite needs to be submitted by Monday I think - shit bugger bugger, actually maybe it needs to be before the end of the month which would mean tomorrow is my last day. Definitely worth getting my shit together and doing though as last year hub got me 60,000 yen back - about a thousand dollars NZ. He works out stuff like electricity used for English classes at home, amounts for photocopying rah rah... Quite useful having a tax man husband. I'd rather he was a chef or a masseus (sp??) but beggars can't be choosers.

SDGH&QL

Sweet Dreams, Good Health and Quiet living.

3 comments:

Girl Japan said...

I absolutely loved reading this post, I hope things will get sorta out with the FOIO (front office immigration office), I can not relate to the bento making but I enjoyed reading your post, it made me chuckle, nice writing style, love it.

Gina said...

Excellent post, so well said!

This is totally my feelings as well for favorite time of day...

"Then the scene the mother 'most favoured' came on. 10 am on a Monday morning. The business of the morning and doing lunches, getting kids sorted, doing breakfast and getting the family out the door is over. The first round of cleaning is probably done and the mother is sitting on the couch with a mug of coffee stuffing her face with morning tea and laughing hysterically at something on daytime TV."

Exactly, exactly exactly. My mornings are crazy and then around 10 or 11 am it's sorta like...ahhhh, relax time. : ) Ha ha ha.

Have a good day over there Gaijin wife! : )

Rachel said...

http://www.japantoday.com/category/national/view/govt-eyes-logging-foreign-nationals-in-resident-registry

Good news for us! The above is a link to a news site with an article saying that Japan may be changing the rules to list us with Japanese.

If this happens, our residence and visa status will be recorded with a new kind of gaijin card administered by the immigration department:

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/national/20090217TDY01304.htm