Wednesday, 4 February 2009

Another day

A very quiet day today. Marina and I spent the morning napping, cleaning and washing. I only have one suitcase left to unpack - but also have the 10kg box I sent from NZ before we left - that arrived this afternoon, along with Shou's birthday prezzie for June. A kids builders set with electric drill and all. Has gone to the top of our wardrobe to wait until June - and here's hoping he still think's bob the builder and handy manny are the bomb in four months!

After lunch we went visiting to Solar Panel Man's house for a cuppa with his wifey. Took them some NZ omiyage and had good goss about the last couple of months. Have planned a shinnnennkai (new year's dinner) for this Saturday. Is at their house this time as their son doesn't go to bed until half eight. Hub is on Granny K asking duty. Asking as in asking her to keep her door open slightly so she can hear if they nut out while we are away - so then she can ring us and tell us to come home.

I put Marina down for her afternoon nap and then started getting sorted for dinner and English class. Marina drunk her bottle and was having a grizzle. And, had been having a grizzle for a whole oh, twenty seconds when Granny K came in to inform me that Marina was crying. Approximately one minute later she came in to inform me that she was still crying. Approximately three minutes later and Marina was dead to the world and in peaceful slumber. Granny K looks after Marina during English. Marina slept through most of it but started crying (medium level) during the last ten minutes. I discovered later that Granny K was in her room with her TV blasting at level deaf person. So, while I obviously need constant reminding when my children are crying it is OK for her to 'ignore' them during the one of a total of three hours during the week when she is on Granny duty.

Half an hour after English finishes she comes out of her room and comments on how upset Marina looks and that it must be because she is hungry. SIGH. I can feel myself getting sucked into the Granny K black hole - which usually just means ignoring her completely and not even commenting. Afterall, if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all. But then what a boring place the world would be - needless to say I would have to stop blogging.

Well, time to convince my hub that my ankles are really puffier than they are so I get a foot rub.

SDGH&QL

11 comments:

Jo Tomooka said...

Just keep on smiling and nodding - sometimes it is just not worth fighting about! And imagine how boring your blog would be if you didn't have Granny K's wonderful input in your life.... hope to see you soon!

Gina said...

I love your blog. Thanks for such an entertaining read. Would you mind if I put a link to your blog on my blogroll?

gaijin wife said...

Gina - link away :) Thanks.

Jo - will end up looking very simple what with all the nodding and smiling will need to do to help me get through next ten years or so!! One pest the sticky cardboard can't catch.

illahee said...

lol sticky cardboard *snort!*

yeah, if you didn't have granny k, what fodder would you have for this here blog anyway?!

Ruth said...

Ahhh, how quickly things have returned to normal. I actually think Oka-san is making up for the few months she couldn't torment you! ;) By the sounds of your luggage, you won't need anything from Ireland in August.

kuri & ping said...

Welcome back! Your trip sounds like it was wonderful and it's always a shock to come back to reality, especially when reality comes complete with your own GK. :) Chin up!

Let me know if you're ever in Nakatsu again visiting Rachel. I'll get myself down there so we can all meet up again. :)

Gina said...

I sure do love your granny K stories! I think Shou is going to love the Handy Manny birthday present. Handy Manny is pretty popular among my two as well! : )

Sara said...

I agree that Granny K does give you some good post material. I think "Granny K & I" would be a great best seller...

Hope you got your foot massage!!
I've been in demand of back ones for my ever growing bossom...

Slime said...

Personally, I think you're a saint! My MIL lives on the other side of the world, and half the times that she calls, I make one the kids answer and tell her I'm in the shower! LOL Thank goodness for caller ID!! And I'm thankful everyday that the American tradition is for old people to live on their own until their not able to anymore, then we chuck 'em into a home for old geezers!

Lulu said...

I can see headlines now "gaijin wife clobbers granny k"...

Hope you get your foot rub & that Granny K decides to take a long holiday far away at a friends place.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe that she is already back to her old ways. Perhaps she didn't miss you, will realise she likes to live alone and will bugger off voluntarily. Fingers, toes and legs crossed! Will call you next week. Lots of love and miss you already. 'Granny K Rocks' T-shirt Boys Mum aka Ang xx