Tuesday, 13 January 2009

Midwife Visit

Both the kids are down which is unusual these days so I am taking advantage of some time to sit here and then get dinner sorted. Granny A on the road home and I imagine not very far away - wouldn't it be great if they arrived while both children were quiet!!

I have just got back from my visit with the midwife. Very nice woman and it was interesting to do everything in English for a change. The biggest difference with my clinic in Japan is that here you can not do everything in the one place. I had a consultation and the midwife checked blood pressure (boarder line but not surprising as am fat woman with high stress) and then listened to the baby's heartbeat - which was neat as in Japan I never got to hear that until the very end. Do the flash 4D ultrasounds have sound on them? If they do my Japanese doctor is a bit 'ketchi' (stingy) with the volume control.

So, the bun sounds as buns should sound at about 18 weeks and tummy feels as been there twice already saggy 18 week pregnant tummy should feel. The kids were good playing in the corner with the toy box - until the end when they started getting a bit scratchy as had been there for forty minutes at prime afternoon nap time and as we all know my two year old and one year old have some boundary issues and aren't usually happy sitting silently in the corner while I talk to other adults.

The midwife gave me a multitude of information and brochures - mainly on healthy eating and providing a healthy home. Being in Japan it is easy to ignore the 'what you should avoid during pregnancy' food checklist but here.... my god - shite. dame well had sushi for lunch too. Ah well, surely the Japanese DNA in there will make that be OK? I do need to eat healthier though and I know that so it was good to have a reality check. Next stop... organic veg shop.

I didn't realise but the load of blood tests they give you in Japan and in New Zealand have to be done at a certain time in order to be able to detect certain things - in New Zealand the main thing they check for is Down's Syndrome. The test is meant to be done before 18 weeks - which is what I supposedly was on Sunday - according to very shady date of last period I told my doctor in Japan. And, seeing as it will only be three days over tomorrow the midwife and I decided there is no harm getting them done - so that's where I am off to first thing tomorrow morning. They open at 7:30am. Actually they are open till 5pm so if Granny A gets back in time I will go down today.

Then at 2pm tomorrow arvo I am having a proper ultrasound - and for that one I am officially 18 weeks as they only do the anatomy scan if you are between 18 and 24 weeks. I have to go to the radiology clinic for that. My friend and her son are coming for a play date tomorrow so I am sure I will be able to juggle children while that gets done. Surely only a matter of ten minutes or so.

So that's that, no wonder pre-natal care is cheaper in New Zealand. They have you running all over town doing everything yourself. Love my nice, but pricey, clinic in Japan where I can get it all done in the one place. It honestly never occurred to me that I couldn't do it all at the midwife clinic. Ignorance? Quite possibly, but then I haven't got anything to go by. Not like I have swarms of kiddies running round New Zealand. And if I did, I wonder if they would be better behaved than my run amok half Japanese kids?

On that note - and it is with a bit of anger that I have decided to not allow anonymous comments - does anyone know, will this delete all previous anonymous comments? I don't want that. May have to moderate them instead. What a pain in the ass.

I am all up for some constructive criticism about my blog and my daily miserable life but making personal attacks and saying that basically I am such a crap mother it is a wonder I am thinking of bringing a third child into the world, and that no wonder my husband doesn't want to spend time with me.... well, that kind of bullshit is just hurtful - and having a bitch about you lovely people who comment regularly is just unnecessary. I am all for a bit of productive debate but well I'm far too delicate to put up with this kind of shit so out go the anonymous comments. Gomen.

LATER....

Had to save as draft as Granny A came home - and yes the kiddies were still asleep so I did a quick runner to the bloods place and came back twenty minutes later to find both kids up. We all had Japanese curry for dinner which the kids, and Granny A and Grandad, chomped back. Kids to bed without fuss and S1 has just been round for big catch up.

The bun is now no doubt trying to fight for space amongst the copious amounts of tea I have just consumed. No bloody wonder I still haven't felt it.

So sorry, but won't know until tomorrow whether is bunster or bunnette.

Until then...

SDGH&QL

9 comments:

illahee said...

oh goodness, one more day??? i can hardly wait!!

Orchid64 said...

If you disallow anonymous comments, it shouldn't delete previous ones. However, anyone can sign up for a blogger ID without having a blog or they can blog access to their profile, so I'd recommend you consider moderating if you want to be sure the angry people don't have a voice.

That being said, you can delete any comment after the fact (after it's posted) by clicking on the little trash can under the post. You may already know this, but I never paid attention to it until I stopped moderating comments and some folks posted e-mail addresses expecting me to edit them out.

Don't let people who judge you bother you. I know it's difficult, but there are always going to be people who judge others before taking a really hard look in the mirror.

Rachel said...

Couldn't you get the midwife to visit you at home? Mine did, so the trips out to the lab and radiology didn't feel like extra visits. In fact, they were the ONLY visits outside my home.

I liked that they were done by professionals too. I suppose OBs in Japan must get good at doing the scans after all their practice, but I really resented having to get one every three weeks just to justify their purchase and help pay for it!

Anyway, Japan has hotel-like clinics, long relaxing stays and great food, so there are some plus points here...

but I think NZ edges it out with one great advantage - autonomy. At home, or hospital, doctor or midwife, drugs or no drugs, on the bed or squatting in the corner, you choose. I resented having to negotiate so much to do anything different from the norm in Japan. How I had to ask permission to do this, or that (though my doctor here was really open to letting me do what I like, the nurses didn't really like differing from the script), whereas in NZ, THEY ask YOU permission.

Just wish I could take all the good bits from both and make a great perfect hotel- oops I mean birth clinic somewhere in between, say Fiji?

anchan said...

It's lovely to hear that all is well with bun. Reading about it makes me think, awwww maybe one more... But NO!

Sara said...

Yay!!! You didn't put up a poll like me but I have a feeling which one it may beeeeeeee....

And if I'm right with you maybe I am right with meeeeeee.....

Have a nice day!

gaijin wife said...

Thank you Orchid64. I have deleted a couple of Spam comments in past so think will just bin the ones I don't like. Moderating comments would be OK too but I don't get on the computer everyday back home.

Rachel - didn't even occur to me to get midwife to come to me :( such is being used to driving 40 minutes to Usa every time I need to go. Is all sorted now though and seeing as I am very much a lie on my back and 'don't touch me' kind of person when I am in labor the LDR at the clinic in Usa is still preferred choice. I could ask doctor about bringing in a swiss ball just for a reaction though :)

Anchan - one more would be OK wouldn't it? I am looking forward to the baby cuddles and rocking to sleep - she says now after quite a good night sleep. Won't be saying that with leaky boobs and sore bits at two o'clock in the morning but for the moment ...

Sara - was your prediction right? I am only slightly gutted as have some very very cute girls baby clothes :( But then I predict your's is a girl so ...

Ruth said...

You should put a poll up like Sara suggests. For the record I think it will be a girl. I'm planning on knitting some little cardis for my cousin's baby so I may turn my hand to some for your bubs (depending on how the first lot turn out!)

Sara said...

GW - Not sure if you will read this, but if not thats fine. I think mine is a girl as well... apparently so do more than half of the people who voted in my poll.

We shall see within the next 6 weeks or so I suppose!

Rachel said...

My doc here said okay to the swiss ball, though with very raised eyebrows...I did that to him a lot.

Didn't use it during labor, I was zoned out on the hypnosis. It was very useful as a kid toy during my stay however, until I got afraid that they'd come off it and crash into the baby bed!

Midwives don't touch you if you don't want them to. I got back massages with Amy until I decided I hated it!. I think it's quite common for women to not want to be touched, there's already so much going on with your body you can't handle dealing with extra touch.