Tuesday, 16 December 2008

Crash, Bang, Dunk

It's not even seven o'clock yet and the house is silent. Marina and Shou both snoring and mum and dad just gone out for dinner with friends. I am at a loose end. What to do?? Get on trade me and find some goodies perhaps!

Shou had a bit of a bummer morning. Granny A offered to take him for a walk in the pram while Marina was napping - so that I could have a few minutes catch up sleep too. I strapped Shou into the pram Granny A recently bought (a single stroller). He was protesting a bit at being sent out on a walk without mummy. Our drive is very steep and about a fifth of the way down I hear Granny A say 'Oh, Kate' and I turn round and Shou is face first on the driveway and the pram is rolling down the drive.

Both Granny A and I couldn't comprehend what had happened. I had strapped him in but we thought that all his quite vigorous protesting had somehow made the inside of the pram come out. What had infact happened was...

I have hired a double buggy (bigger child in front, smaller child kind of underneath and behind in a section that can be taken off) for our two months. The smaller child attachment had been placed perfectly (not intentionally) inside the other stroller. Different makes but the perfect size. I didn't click when I was buckling Shou in that the stroller he was in actually had a different buckle.

In between some very bad English words I think I actually may have laughed very briefly as Shou was still fully strapped into the double buggy attachment bit - looked like a turtle with a shell. There was blood - which Shou now associates with near death so calming him down took a while. It involved a trip to the shop to get a popsicle for his fat lip and lots of cuddles with mummy. Granny K would have had a fit. Holding Shou in my condition. The bun didn't protest at being squashed and I very much doubt the squashing got through to the inner layers anyway.

Feeding Shou has been testing as his lip is sore and everything hurts. For dinner I had gotten some sushi from the store in town - as a treat. Marina scoffed back the rice and seaweed from three bits while all Shou managed was to skull back the rest of the soya sauce from the plastic fish soya sauce container. He was complaining of sore and wattery eyes before bed and is now sleeping on a cold facecloth. I am presuming it is all part of the traumatic day he had.

Marina was not without her addition to the hall of 'my mum neglects me' fame. She took a dunk in the bath, quite a bad one by the splashing, spluttering and carry on I heard from the hall-way. Yes, my one year old was momentarily in the bath, that had more than two cms of water in it, on her own. While I have not totally forgiven myself I think she has forgiven me and is now fast asleep but will no doubt wake up after nightmares of drowning and oversized yellow rubber duckies.

We did have a play date in between things. Farm boy Riley and his mum came round and together the three kids tormented the neighbours cat. Well, the boys did. Marina was more interested in trying to get mummy's top gun sunglasses to stay on her big head!

Nearly three hours later...

Shou woke up, decided he wanted a vegemite sandwhich and has since gone back to bed. I must have fallen asleep with him because when I came out of his room it was half nine and mum and dad were home.

Mum is now refusing to go to bed until she has made sure I have gone to bed first. She must have been a bit tramatised by this morning too - doesn't want to have to offer to take the kids for any more walks on her own (so mummy can catch up on sleep) just incase she loses anymore on the way down the drive...

SDGH&QL

5 comments:

illahee said...

sounds like an exciting day!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! Poor Shou! Kawaii Sou! Katie M

Girl Japan said...

What a fun filled day you had!!!! Have a wonderful evening!!!

anchan said...

Oh Shou - I am so sorry but... I'm trying not to laugh! You could have made yourself a few pennies had the camera been rolling...

Gina said...

Poor Shou! : ( But the play date sounded like fun! : )