Saturday, 13 December 2008

As Predicted...

Hub drank 'a little too much' (his words) last night (read as probably got absolutely off his face). This morning his office all woke up hungover and were no doubt feeling rather delicate at breakfast and not altogether much better when they all went for their annual bowling competition on the way back to Kunimi.

I have just come back from a trip to the chemist to get a thermometer. We have three at home for various reasons, mainly being I keep moving them to very good hiding places away from the kids and promptly forgetting where those places are. Anyway, Granny A didn't have one in the house and neither did my sister - which, as a mother of three, surprised me. I realise Japanese people are probably more inclined to run to the doctor at the drop of a hat but I thought a thermometer was a bog standard thing to have in your house. Obviously not. With dad being a doctor though whatever he says goes. Within almost a day of us arriving he declared Marina iron deficient. Granny A is now on at me for stuffing as much iron enriched food in her mouth as possible and I am surprised I haven't been made to puree liver yet. Dad is away this weekend though, which is actually good because it means I could go and buy a thermometer and get the chemist mans advise - which was if a small child has a temperature over 38 degrees and isn't responding to the likely suspects of baby nurofen or pamol then taking them to the doctors would be a good idea - or rather I wouldn't get laughed out of the clinic if I took a baby there with a temperature over 38. Which, I might add, is lower than the recommended doctor visit temperature reading I have been told in Japan - 38.5 degrees.

Marina felt hot before bed and was grizzly. I am inclined to think it is more teething especially as she has since gone to sleep OK - but with one five minute grizzle during her sleep. Still, I wanted to be able to check her temperature. Hopefully she wakes up with another whopper of a tooth and then I will feel OK. Despite her operation having gone well hub and I have been programmed to check her temperature and take her to the doctors straight away for anything over 38.5 for the last year. Habbits die hard, and I am still on the thermometer police top ten wanted list.

We had a relatively quiet day. We had a big walk this afternoon followed by a good bath session for Shou. Granny A had put some 'non real' toys in the bath like egg cups, an old small metal teapot and some golf balls. Shou was a bit bewildered but then got into it and started making me copious amounts of 'mamas coffee'. He even invited marina into the bath and told her it was 'omoshiroii kara haite mi' - get in cause its fun in here. He is now asleep with the said tea pot on the pillow beside him. I should go and move it or he will wake up with a big spout mark on his face.

SDGH&QL

4 comments:

anchan said...

What is it with the japanese and this 'fever' obsession? You can be feeling terribly poorly, but if you ain't got a temperature, you ain't ill! Hope Marina pops a tooth during the night!

Anonymous said...

Hey, Good to know I am reading this even though you are here eh! Can't wait to see you and the kiddies on Thursday or Friday - whichever you choose to come down on. Ja ne. Ang

Rachel said...

I think the different number is because we use underarm temp, and over there they use ear or bum. I forget which is higher...you'll have to check the internet which is a drag but it gives you something to do while you're obsessing over whether you need to go to the doctor...

Ruth said...

Oh I just loved Shou's comment to Marina. I wonder if thats the line he'll be using on all the women when he gets older. Hahahaha