Tuesday, 18 November 2008

She knows!!

Well, actually I told her this morning in the car. I had to take her to the clinic to get her flu shot. I was having a rare 'Granny K isn't so bad' moment and made a very bad error in judgement by telling her about the bun. To her credit she didn't react as if I had told her had terminal illness, although I could see her thinking shit, if she's this much of a bitch now imagine what she'll be like with another baby on the loose. She then went on to impart some words of wisdom...

You shouldn't be picking Shou up like you did this morning because he weighs too much and he'll squash the baby. (Shou is a skinny little runt and only weighs three kilos more than Marina. Can't not pick up my little boy. What a stupid thing to expect me to do - I didn't say anything though as this wasn't a new piece of advice. She recycled it from when was pregnant with Marina.

You need to relax more (tell me about it) and not get so worked up all the time. Being angry throughout your pregnancy will mean an angry crying baby. I had to stop myself from saying that she was the cause of seventy percent of my getting worked up. I do in some part agree with this though. I think being a floaty free spirited genki woman who didn't get stressed over anything would probably lead to having a baby who just went with the flow. Too bad though. I can't expect to be not stressed throughout whole pregnancy - especially seeing as can't have copious amounts of white wine to aid with destressing self. (did I mention that a couple of weeks ago - infact the day Marina got out of hospital - hub was having a few beers in celebration that her operation went well. I had about a third of a small glass that hub had poured for me and when I went to have a sip of hub's about half an hour later he said, without pause, that he thought that the very occasional beer I had while pregnant with Marina was in part responsible for her having the condition she had. I think I was both too upset, and embarrassed, to blog about it at the time. I had a wild moment of visions of 'the papers' and how I would go about sneaking my kids out of the country :p)

Is lucky for me hub is away at work all day and doesn't see me chucking back tequilla slammers and smoking twenty cigarettes. Arrrgh, the bun just about sent me to the toilet just at the thought.

Anyway - I told Granny K that not many people in Kunimi knew about the bun so could she keep it to herself for a little while longer. That said, I took Marina to the supermarket in the next town over and was congratulated on my good news by the wife of the dentist I took Shou to a few weeks back. I was visible taken aback and said thankyou but it still wasn't really common knowledge (you people don't count). I then remembered I had mentioned it to a friend who is friends with this woman. Am bit pissed my friend has taken it upon her self to tell her friends but what can you do. I am now resigned to fact that whole town, and possibly whole of next town over, will know about the bun before we leave.

In other news, solar panal man's mum rang hub the other day to enquire about the relationship status of one of the lads in hub's office. She had a friend whose daughter was thinking about coming back to Kunimi (originally from here) but wanted to know if there were any hot prospects for her first. Hub was sent on mission to find out if lad was attached. He isn't. Today, solar panal man's mum comes round and gives me envelope to pass on to hub to be passed on to lad in question. Envelope has two photos of said daughter and letter introducing herself. I am only guessing about contents of letter. While the two photos did happen to fall out of the envelope and into my direct line of sight I am not brave enough to open letter and read it as that would just be rude. Is all very 'omia-poi'. In the olden days 'omia' meant arranged marrage but now it is more really just the introducing of two people who can't find anyone suitable on their own and need a bit of help. Photos are usually swapped and they can turn it all down at any time.

Granny K's marriage was an 'omia' and she said she only met hub's dad once before they got married - and I doubt very much that was for a quick shag in the back of someones car.

Anyway, I am picking that the lad at hub's office won't go for it. He seems to think he is a bit of all right and I think that he would think he could do better - of course this is very rude assumption based on very brief glance of pics. But honestly, the girl hasn't even got on any lippy or rouge people. Which, also makes me think maybe she doesn't know about the pics. Maybe it's all her mother's doing. Ooooh, the drama. Maybe I should shake the envelope a bit to see if the letter falls out...

into my direct line of sight.

SDGH&QL

7 comments:

illahee said...

oh please please please read the letter. >:D this is very interesting, actually. don't think i'd ever witness anything like it myself. if i did, i'd find a way to read that letter. guess i'd have to find a way to live with myself afterward... ;)

no secrets in a small town.

Nay said...

Naoki's groomsman's family is really old fashioned like that and he can't marry anybody unless his parents agree that she will make a good housewife, a good mother and they will be able to produce 'purebreed' offspring... I think it's ridiculous in today's society to think like that, but anyway...

And yeh, I agree with Illahee, most definitely there are no secrets in small towns... I spent 16 years in a small town and everybody knew everybody's business.

kasandora said...

oooh, I want to know :) I'm impressed you kept it from Granny K for so long and good luck maintaining your sanity...My MIL was always giving me "gentle instruction" on what to do and not to do while pregnant...I only put up with it for 3 days and it drove me batshit crazy!

Ruth said...

OMG, the drama!! Is the guy anyone I know?? If it all works out maybe I'll have to send you a letter and a couple of pics of me :)
Glad you told Granny K, maybe she'll be a bit more understanding from now on??!!

Gina said...

I'm sorta glad Granny K knows too. I'll have to ditto what Ruth said because I agree, maybe she will indeed be a bit more understanding of you now.

As for the letter, hmm. How about hold up the envelop to the light and try to see if you can read through it? Or at least make out any sentences at least. I used to do that when my report card used to get mailed to the house, back in the day. Ha ha ha. *winks* : ) Well unless it's one of those 2- ply envelops then that might not work then. : D

Sherry said...

If the letter is anything like the letters my MIL has been constantly shoving into the hands of BILs in the hopes of getting them married and out of the house it is basically just a resume of sorts listing very much the sort of info you would list on a job resume - education, work info, hobbies, family info and so on. Not very exciting stuff really.

Sara said...

Oh my gosh!! You are like the pony express of love for those two how exciting!! I would totally be tempted to read the letter (but probably wouldn't)

It must be a relief(?) to have at least gotten it in front of Granny K. Is Shou old enough to understand what will be going on?

(By the way - I am now pouring over your journal as a crystal ball to a month ahead for me...) Your bun seems to be a bit more disagreeable to food than mine tho.. mine just seems to make me want to eat cheese, sweet potatos, and veggie nabe ALL THE TIME