Tuesday, 13 May 2008

Perfect Afternoon

How not to spend a Tuesday afternoon...

Taking a 6 month old and nearly two year old to have jabs on the same day at 1 in the afternoon. Bloody nap time. Every woman child, man, beast, two elephants, two camels.. Noa... were there. I picked S up from kindy after lunch and went straight there to check in at 12:45 - 15 minutes before check in even started. We were second. However, forty screaming children later the lady announces that due to numbers they wouldn't be going in order of check-in. Instead they would be going in order of injections - MR first, our one second, and BCG last. FIFTEEN kids before us. M was lapping up the extra attention but S was so into nap mode he wasn't walking straight and was starting to get very scratchy.

M was meant to have her jab first but the doctor said he couldn't give it to her because she had a chesty cough. He made this decision after already making me undress her so he could 'moshi moshi' (check) her tum and back. She started nutting out - enter S, who then starts nutting out before it's even his turn.

My God

He slept for ohhhh, five minutes when we got home before breaking into a solid hour of unconsoluble ouch it hurts - but with his eyes closed. Granny K came into the lounge and somehow together, with a lot of strawberries, cars and some rescue vehicle stickers we consoled him. A few snacks later and he is happily playing on his plastic jungle gym on the deck. The slide is about thirty cms off the ground. I was in here changing M's nappy when S starts screaming out - I run out and pick him up only to get a mouthful of blood on my white top because he has hit his chin trying to do 'the snake' backwards down the slide. Trying to get S to hold some ice on his lip was an absolute no go without restraints so I had to follow chapter seventeen of bad parenting 204 and given him two orange iceblocks - which meant he had ice on his lip for a good forty minutes. Bloody ingenius I thought.

He still ended up with a lip that looks like he's just had some botox though.

Poor wee mite. He is finally tucked up in bed. M was out like a light at half six -w hich doesn't bode well for me for tonight. Ah well, might have to sleep the morning away tomorrow.

SDGH&QL

2 comments:

Jo Tomooka said...

Don't you just love the Japanese health system sometimes! I'm sure they just try to make things difficult for parents.... Iceblocks always work for me too. Perfect mothering I say! I hope you get to have a few quiet days to recover.

tj-injapan said...

that really sucks - I can't believe they changed the order of the jabs..... how rude!

I have K's second polio vaccination next month. last time I went, I arrived about 15mins before check in started, and I was seriously number 150 in line!!! But the factory assembly line, aah, I mean doctors check and vaccination went really fast, so I didn't have to wait that long really. Think I might turn up 20mins late this time, and then probably won't have to wait at all!? Or is that all too logic for Japan?

how is little botox boy? lol. I am going out to buys some iceblocks tomorrow as part of my first aid kit. great idea!